Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  Door fitment

Door fitment

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 957
replies 4
following 3

bagged dually   +1y
Anyone know if a 1987-1994 door will fit a 1995-1998?? I think everything is the same as far as the hinges and the exterior parts just unsure about the door panel and the window assembly. I need to replace the door on my daily driver which is a 1995. I've found a good deal on a door from a 1991 truck. I really don't want to buy it if its gunna take hours of work to make it fit right.
Thanks guys
big daddy caddy   +1y
Yes, they are the same.

Ron
someotherguy   +1y
They are the same - mostly, but not completely.

1988-1994 doors won't have the indentation on the inner side for the 1995-up inner panel to fit correctly. This is probably the smallest issue. You can make a dent there to match the old door, right at the point where the inner panel has the upkick to hold the inside door handle.

1988-1994 (and some 1995) doors have a smaller hole for the exterior door handle. This is where it starts to get sucky. I've argued this one back and forth with several people that refuse to believe it but there are no less than 3 and maybe 4 exterior door handle designs over the years of these trucks, and somewhere in 1995 they enlarged the plastic bezel that surrounds the handle - this coincides with when you started seeing it be more common for the external handle to crack and break by the lock hole, it has less solid contact with the sheetmetal because of the extra plastic. The new larger handle will not correctly fit the older doors. You can force it...kinda...

Next up...the best bet for proper fit is to get a door closest to the same year as your truck. Sometimes you get lucky and it just works. Other times you can't make it fit right to save your life, you can adjust, bend, beat, jump up and down on the sonofabitch, and never make it right. Best bet for your 1995 model is another 1995 door, or next best, 1996-up, and my last choice would be 1988-1994.

Finally, inspect the door really closely, especially the hinges. Look at the hole where the small end of the hinge pin goes through - the part that doesn't have a bushing, just an interference fit with the pin. If it's egged out, and the top hinge most surely will be, you'll need to repair it (read: weld up, re-drill, difficult area to access) or the hinge will always have slop even with new bushings. Bottom ones do it too but not usually as bad. And check the sheetmetal above the upper hinge to be sure it's not cracked from people hanging off it getting in/out or reefing on it trying to adjust it.

How's that for some door info. Take it from the guy who's done it a bazillion or two times.

Richard
bagged dually   +1y
Damn bro. You made that question your bitch lol.
Thanks for the reply man.
someotherguy   +1y
No prob. I seem to know a whole lot about shit that matters to maybe a whopping 3 or 4 people in the world at a given moment.

Richard
Page 1 of 1