Page 1 of 2
Dually Exterior \  Attn: Paint Gurus

Attn: Paint Gurus

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 2455
replies 12
following 9

jcampbell1180   +1y
Is it better to paint the whole truck as an assembly, or to paint individual panels and reassemble when they are dry?

My thoughts are as follows:

I'm thinking I'll paint the insides of the fenders, doorjambs, under the hood, dash, etc., then reassemble them onto the truck to shoot the "outside" in one shot. I think it would be easier to set panel gaps and line up doors, etc. without worrying about scratching fresh paint. Additionally, I'm concerned about not getting uniform coverage if I did it in individual panels.

Any thoughts?
comegetsome   +1y
we painted my buddies 84 ford last week...we tore it completly down to a bare cab...so there are no tape lines in the door jams...we sprayed the cab and doors(hanging so we sprayed inside and outside) and wiper cowl one night and sprayed the bed and hood the next night and it all turned out even but we made sure we sprayed sealer and then the exact same number of coats of paint on all of it...we also pulled all teh windows out and he has all new glass for it...turned out great so far...maybe we can get it back together tomorrow scratch free

heres what it looked like coming out the paint booth(homemade paint booth might i add) except we had already reinstalled the grille,bumper, ect
thread post photo
shpaint1   +1y
it depends a lot on the color and kinda your going to be using man, if its a pearl or a candy then yes i would normally do it like you said, its possible to do it in pieces but unless you've been painting a long time i dont suggest it. hanging the parts as they are on the truck will help a lot, in other words dont paint the doors flat layin on a stand, hang them up from the top of the window frame, same as the front fenders, dont lay um down hang them. all pearls and metallic's will flop a bit, that means viewed for certain angles they will reflect light differently. If its a a tri coat or some thing like that the only way is to do it like you said, jam the whole truck, hang every thing and shoot the out side all together. If its just single stage black or some other fairly heavy solid color, no sweat, paint the pieces and keep in mind the number of coats, air temp, and air pressure at the gun so thats always the same and it should match pretty damn good
svrdwgn   +1y
We are in the process of painting my Dually right now... in a driveway, no booth, not even a garage. And Campy knows what the weather has been like the last few months... rain every week... BUT.. like stated above my painter has been doing it a long time...

Campy, as you said, you want to paint the jams, then reassemble and spray truck... You will have a high probability of getting overspray on your freshly painted jams if you do this. We pulled all the panels and doors, sprayed jams and cab, sprayed doors, fenders, hood off the truck. Just remember how many coats of color you put on, and coats of clear, and definitely use color from the same gallon (Dont use different quarts, color may vary)

I had to get my paint from out of state (Calif no longer sells solvent base), and my paint had to be shipped in Quarts. So we made sure to mix it all together in a gallon bucket first...
jcampbell1180   +1y
Right on, Guys. Thanks.

Disassemble, paint, and reassemble.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Resurrecting an old ass thread. Finally landed on a color. Hopefully I'll be spraying in the not too distant future. Two more questions:

1. Single stage or BC/CC?

2. Acrylic or urethane?
big bear   +1y
hell yea..cant wait to see. it kinda boils down to what kind of look you want as in finish and ect and what budget you wanna follow? im by no means a painter lol but its like everything. buy good products. no shortcuts
83baggedduallylee   +1y
I've seen single stage look amazing it will look even better with clear coat on top , but if u want a deep paint job go base/clear
jcampbell1180   +1y
What about acrylic vs urethane?

I've heard urethane is a pretty durable paint.
83baggedduallylee   +1y
Acrylic is pretty tough but yeah urethane is more durable but little harder lo lay down