threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  Aluminum Or Steel Semi Rims???

Aluminum Or Steel Semi Rims???

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 4636
replies 5
following 4

70lt1monte   +1y
I have decided to put some 24.5" semi rims on my dually but I have a few questions about the rims before I buy them. What is the going rate for machining the rims inorder to run regular tires? Exactly how much needs to be shaved to run regular tires?(EXACT MEASUREMENT AND PICS OF AREAS THAT NEED MACHINING WOULD BE GREAT TO TAKE TO MY MACHINIST IF POSSIBLE!!!) Can the steel semi rims also be shaved to work with regular tires? Can the steel semi rims be modified with different designs like the aluminum rims WITHOUT compromising the strength of them? Should I buy hub pilot or budd rims?
guilty by design   +1y
My guy charges $75ea to mill a 24.5 to a 24. You need to shave 1/4'' in order to do this but i cant show you the area that needs to be shaved... good luck findng someone who will. Steel wheels CANNOT be machined down but i dont see why they cant have a custom design cut into them, doing so will compromise the structural integrity of the wheels but i dont know if it would be enough to matter. Trevor has cut the shit out of a set of alum wheels and they still held 7000lbs.
70lt1monte   +1y
Thanks for chiming in....I just read in another post that it's not possible to machine/shave the steel rims so I guess that I will be buying the aluminum rims after all!LOL Besides, I guess I'm getting a deal on the aluminum rims anyway considering that I'm paying LESS than the $75 machining cost for them!
lockone   +1y
We are building steel wheels in 22s and they will hopefully be ready to go by the spring of 2010.

if you are buying used wheel be sure that they are all true and are not bent. They will look good sitting on the ground but when you spin them on a lathe you can see the imperfections.

You also need to get Hub piloted wheels.
conundrum   +1y

So you guys are still going to make the steel wheels?
I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be to costly to do it?
lockone   +1y
It is going to be costly but everything is costly nowadays. We had some problems with our first supplier of the hoops and have had to resort to another. Just going to be a time process and I am hoping everything will work out fine this go around.

Also if you are wanting the 2 and 5 hand hole look like most of the steel wheel desgins are, we offer those in Aluminum also but only in 22s.
Page 1 of 1