Page 1 of 2
Dually Exterior \  Chop Top

Chop Top

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 2554
replies 14
following 6

acid   +1y
Anybody on here know anything about chopping tops? Any and all info would b useful guides would b great. thanks in advanced.
wellbilt kustoms   +1y
I've chopped a few tops. I would use goggle, and do alot of research before attempting it. there are alot of really great, long, detailed write ups about chopping tops.

Just make sure you re-inforce the inside of the cab extremely well before cutting anything off, cause it WILL move, and you will have a hell of a time trying to get everything to line back up. I basically disect the roof into 1/4's, and add filler sheetmetal in the middle of each section. It takes alot of relief cuts, and alot of patch panels to get everything to look right. Just be patient. Its a long process. Lots and lots of cutting and lots and lots of welding. Then even more grinding.
jcampbell1180   +1y
...unless you're a "rat rodder". Then it's okay if it looks like ass.
acid   +1y
Lol. Thanks for the advice i will take u up on it.
pig rig   +1y

thats a great motivation speech campy
monzter kuztomz   +1y
Here's a link to a couple of guys doing square body Chevys, two differant ways of it bing done.
1:
2: Starts at the bottom of page 2

Here's a link to IF Customs doing a couple of 88 - 98 Chevys, both chops are at the bottom of the pages.
1:
2:
liljlowrider   +1y
another suggestion ... you can go to barnes and noble and buy a book that tells you how to do it... my buddy bought it i cant remember the name of it.. but it was written with very detailed pictures by a old school rodder guy and it goes into very detailed info on how to chop about 20 different tops. and there is a section on square bodies in the book.
monzter kuztomz   +1y
Hey liljlowrider try top find out the name of the book, I found one on line called 'Tex Smith's How to Chop Tops' . I'm wanting to chop the top on my crew cab and any more additional info on this would help make me feel more confident about cutting the top off my truck and getting it back together.
liljlowrider   +1y
yea i will do that...
acid   +1y
WOW thanx 4 all the help i didn't know so many of u would b into choppin tops. i figured u were more like the mini truckin scene that liked to shave everything off.