Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  Front end conversion

Front end conversion

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 3402
replies 7
following 3

hangslo   +1y
I am considering doing a newer sheet metal conversion on my 98 Chevy crew. If I dont do a conversion then I will most likely go with a full phantom, because I have always liked it. I dont want an Escalade front cause that is so common, but then again, so is the phantom.

I used to have an 03 GMC HD and I really liked the front end on that truck, and I have seen a picture of one on here in someones signature, but I dont remember who ... it is a black, or flat black and looks like my body style.

Has anyone on here done one of these conversions (or similar)? If so, any pics?

I would also be interested in just seeing any pictures of any finished truck with this particular conversion as well. I think it would look pretty cool and not very common.
low95xlt   +1y
06 with the HD hood grafted

hangslo   +1y

Cool, thanks!

Did you do the conversion or did you have a shop do it? Do you think you lost or gained any hood/tire clearance with the conversion? Did you modify your core support or use the newer support? I am just assuming using the newer core support would make it much easier and be the obvious choice.

I've obviously never done one of these, but I have been associated with the autobody repair industry in some fashion or other since I was in high school in the late 80's (either painter, jobber rep/tech, or manufacturer's rep, and I still do some work on the side) and I have no doubt that I can do it right.

Did you use the newer hood hinges or the originals? I know this is a lot of questions, and I can figure it out on my own, but would much rather pick your brain to eliminate some of the initial guesswork.

Thanks again,
Brad
low95xlt   +1y
well for the 03 the grafted the top of the fenders from the 03 onto the lower half of my 98, basically wheel well and by the door.... that was a 03 core support and such.... they also used the 03 hinges... i didn't like the way that it was near the windshield so i scrapped it/ sold the parts to get oem 98 stuff... then i was like f this lets do a 06... i am ahving a shop do it ... but they are grafting new to old shet metal.. the 06 conversion is mostly 98 fenders but near the front is the 06 headlights and grille.. it has the 06 core i beleve and fitting a custom length radiator there with e fans... the way they did it was the simple way and such here are different ways to do it ya know
hangslo   +1y
Yeah, I was wondering which front you were going to use. Definitely shoot our more pics of that when it is done ... I would really like to see that.
bdydrped   +1y

theres teh other thread with pictures of my frt end
hangslo   +1y
Thats the truck I was talking about! I really like the looks of that front end on this body style. Thanks for the post and link!

Not sure if I would do it the same way, but it seems like it works pretty well. If I used the newer core support though, the grill and headlights would bolt right on and so would a newer radiator with e-fans ... all without mods. Since you've already done it, why did you do it the way you did? Was it just because you didnt want to have to buy the other parts, or because you looked at all them and decided that I just wouldnt work without tons more mods to the core support/sheetmetal as well?

My friend and I were talking about the 07 and newer front end yesterday ... not sure how much of a friend he really is ................

Seriously though, it also looks like it might work and the hood looks like it would sit higher, giving me more room underhood, and the flares on the front fenders stop just far enough forward of the door/fender gap to make it look right. then I would also have to figure out where to lose the upper body line ... anyone have any suggestions? What does everyone think about the latest front sheetmetal? Open to any suggestions.

Guess I'll just have to keep looking and planning ... its not like I can actually do any work right now anyway.
bdydrped   +1y
i did mine the way i did cause i had already made had the truck running/driving/ and the newer style core support is taller...( cant remeber by how much) but i would have either had to redo the core support mounts on the frame and lower them more or section the fenders horizontally, which is more of a pain in the ass than i wanted to do.... making the tabs to bolt the headlight brackets onto didnt take me an hour total for both sides... so it wasnt much of a tough decision HAHA.

and the grille that is in the pics was a HD work truck grille that had the extra 2" at the bottom, i had the intentions to cut it down(why its all apart in the pics) melt it all back together and smooth it to paint so i could have a painted frt end, minus bumper... but i came across the chrom grille with billet in it for the right price.... FREE... so i went that route for now.

sad part is it has sat in the exact same shape, in basically the same spot in teh shop for damn near a year now.... it get moved outside everyonce in a while to make room in the shop for me to work on somethin else.

my suggestion on teh 07 + frt is not to do it... they are ugly as sin. but thats just my 2 pennies
Page 1 of 1