Page 1 of 2
Dually Exterior \  trailer wiring

trailer wiring

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 1272
replies 12
following 4

snapdaddy   +1y
this may be a dumb question but i have to ask becasue i cant seem to find the answer that im looking for

i just need to know what is the most common trailer wiring connecter, i need to wire my truck for a trailer i dont have the trailer yet but when i buy one i want my truck to be ready for it this is for the bumper pull so do i need the 6 or 7 way round or flat

what about the goose neck wiring is that the same?

1980 cc dually
thanks
lonnie
low95xlt   +1y
i believe the most common is the 7 wire round but you can get a adapter to go from the 7 to the flat 4 if needed.. i bleive goosenecks are 7
snapdaddy   +1y
that what i was think the truck had them but the previous owner took them out

whats a good trailer brake bullydog? thats the only one i know of
huskerdually   +1y
Ya go with the 7 round, you can get adapters to just about anything. And I think all trailers are now that, or flat 4 or 5. The flat 5 is the same as flat 4 but adds a fifth wire for trailers with surge disk brakes, the 5 wire is wired to the vehicle reverse and goes to a solenoid on the trailer to disable the brakes.
snapdaddy   +1y
and the gooseneck trailer the same 7 round?
huskerdually   +1y
Ours is.
snapdaddy   +1y
cool thanks for the info

what kind of trailer brake system do you have on your truck
huskerdually   +1y
Factory towing package on 02 f250.
krewzlo   +1y
Round seven is most popular for most except for flat 4. Go with the 7 round then get the adapter to 4 flat. Trailers without a battery will only use 6 out of 7 wires but wire your truck with a heavy ga battery wire in case you pull a camper or trailer with 12 volt accessories such as inside lights winch etc. I can give you a complete color coded diagram if needed. There are many electic brake controllers out there but some will only handle one or two axles.
snapdaddy   +1y
yeah that would be great what is a good trailer brake system that can handle two axles i see alot of them out there but dont know which one is good