Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  73-92 Round to Square Front Clip

73-92 Round to Square Front Clip

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 1382
replies 1
following 1

monzter kuztomz   +1y
Well I just swapped my 73 Suburbans clip out for a front clip of a 86 Chevy truck. I thought that some people might like to what it takes to do this, everything I found on line did not show what it takes so I took pictures of my swap. I did this on my Suburban, but the same steps apply when doing this swap on a Dually.

The unsuspecting Suburban.
thread post photo

The 73 front clip pulled off.
thread post photo

The plastic screen, weather strip & wiper mechanisms need to be removed now.
thread post photo

Now time to mark out where the cutting for new hood hinge holes & bolts need to be.
thread post photo

Here's where I had to add metal for the hood hinges, I added some support also, it seemed a little flimsy without it.
thread post photo

thread post photo

Test fitting the hinges.
thread post photo

thread post photo

With rubber.
thread post photo
monzter kuztomz   +1y
Now it's time to drill holes for the wiper mechanisms, plastic screen & cowl. I forgot to take pictures of the drivers side wiper mechanism hole, it had to be enlarged to fit the longer mechanism.
thread post photo

After hoes drilled in the right spots I installed the cowl.
thread post photo

Next is to put the clip on.
thread post photo

Here you can see where I had to enlarge some of the holes to get the clip lined up.
thread post photo

thread post photo

Now the fenders are shimmed & bolted down.
thread post photo

thread post photo

Next is the hood. I drilled a hole in the firewall & used a new hood release cable to be able to open the hood.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

The front body mounts had to be cut off & welded on in the right place along with cutting the frame for the bumper.
thread post photo

Drilling holes for bumper.
thread post photo

thread post photo

Ta Da! It's on.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Next is to wire up the headlights & turn signals. I kept the wiring harness from the old clip to do this, the bulkhead connector is way different & wires will need to be spliced. I did no get pictures of this, it's not that hard to do though if you can do this clip swap.
Page 1 of 1