Dually Exterior \  My Bro, Lil J!

My Bro, Lil J!

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 2872
replies 30
following 12

jcampbell1180   +1y
Hey J,

I’m really seriously looking into painting my truck myself. From what I’ve read so far, I think I could do it and be satisfied with the results. My question is this: for a first timer, would you recommend single stage paint, or a base/clear system?

The reason I ask is, I was watching that show “Trucksâ€
maz89   +1y
Ok Campy, I know the question is for lil J, but you're my homie, so I'll throw my 2 cents in as well...

Personally, I would probably say go with the single stage. Clear coating can get tricky in some cases, But, flaws in the over all job can be alittle harder to fix in a single stage in some cases, but as long as you take your time, do your research, a test panel or too, and you should be fine...

but some tips I would have to give ya..
1- Take your time, rushing a job can, and will show up in paint, most importantly, remember, a quality paint job comes with quality prep work.
2- You can shoot in your garage, but again, prep it well. Clean it out real well, wet your floors down before you paint, don't spatter water on your project. And try using a box fan in a door way if possible for ventalation.
3- Use a decent gun.. I'm not talking about going out and buying a Sata Jet or anything, but atleast something better than spending $20 at the Tractor Supply store...
4- It may not be a bad idea to locate someone who has been dealing with single stage for a good while to cut and buff any flaws that may show up..
5- Last, but not least, Don't wear a shirt, rub your nipples, and have fun you sexy bitch!!
jcampbell1180   +1y
A's why I love you Alan. Always looking out for a homie.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Def be following tip #5 ...and I'll post the pics for you, you little slut.
watahyahknow   +1y
allways willing to help someone when in need some more tips
make sure you have a good waterseperator in between the compressor and youre spraygun and tap the water out of the compressor before starting youre job spray when the airhummidity is low.
the bigger airtank you have the smoother the airflow will be if theres an oiler on the compressorline take it off for painting
use a new airhose not one you used with airtools and stick it through youre buckle before hooking it to youre paintgun and wind it around youre arm to prevent it touching youre car when youre hanging over it .
the reason for using a new hose and not one you used with airtools is airtools have oilers in the line and the oil stays in the hose , thats sumtin you dont want in the paint .
use lots of fluoresent lichts from the sides in the room you be spraying in , trick is to aply the paint just thick enough to flow out and not drip so look past youre work during spraying and look for the reflection of the lights when the paint flows it starts from a matt orangepeel to shine at a certain speed to fast and it prolly will drip , look at it this way after practicing it and see how mush it takes to make it drip and you know whether to move faster or slow down , try it out you see wat i mean , if you have a drip and the paint is still wet there is a chance it will still flow out intoo the paint when you lay it flat or upside down (obviously im talking bout the smaller items )
try to look at a pro who's painting a car to see where he starts and wish points he hits before starting on the bigger spots and try to remember it when you start on youre own .
skidrow   +1y
ok guys dont kill me now but autozone hase some ready to spry lacquer paint

thay sell it in quarts and it sprays nice 20 bux a qt nice thing with lacker if you put lots on you can rub it out

all ways sand to the edege allways buff to the edge
maz89   +1y

JACKPOT!!

if you can think of anything else you might want to know, just holla... those were just some quick tips that I could think of right off hand... there's enough of us body guys and painters here to take care of ya
jcampbell1180   +1y
Cool. Now fly out to Cali and get started on my body work.

Please.
maz89   +1y
Sure thing brotha, let me know where to pick up the plane ticket!
liljlowrider   +1y
most of the guys def covered some very important tips for you .

Me personally i would spray base/clear because it tends to be more forgivin IMO. you have to be very carefull with singel stage if you apply it to thick and too fast you will have solvent pop problems and its tough to deal with in single stage. granted you can get solvent pop in clear as well it tends to be harder to do with clear. Single stage will make a HUGH mess in your garage it very thick and heavy . the overspray from clear and base are easier to clean afterwards.

i have painted with both and you can get a Very nice finish with either one. If you go with single stage just be sure to get the tech sheet from whomever you buy the paint from and Follow it.

Just spray some test panels first to get the feel of what the paint in gunna do and dont spray you panels laying flat because then you wont know the Run point.

dont use a belly gun. you can get a fairly cheap gun form like northern tool that is hvlp that will work for what you are wanting to do. buy something with like a 1.4 m tip in it.

Yea you dont wanna get water in your lines while your painting and i doubt you wanna spend a arm and leg for a dryer system. i would at least recommend getting the inline water traps from the paint store and use a couple of them . it wont stop all the water but its way better than not useing anything.