Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  stretchen cab

stretchen cab

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 1874
replies 8
following 6

huskerdually   +1y
Okay I got this idea floatin in my head for some time now. My wife says don't do it(she thinks my sawzall is bigger than my welder) and my brother aint to keen on helpen me do it either. Heres the idea, cut the back of my 74 crew cab off as far back on the cab as I can and the cut the back of a donor cab of as close to the door edge as possible and then weld it on to my backless crew cab and stretch it like 3". I know it's alot of work for 3" but I thought it would be pretty cool to have the extra room. I know the roof would take some work to get it right. Just want to know what other people think.
lockone   +1y
It is an assload of work. If you do it the easy thing to do with the roof would be to get a roof skin off of a Suburban ans use it that way it is seamless and looks better. That is what we do on the 88-98s when we make them 6 door.
huskerdually   +1y
I was thinking about having a piece of flat steel rolled to give it a small crown and welding that for the roof so I wouldn't have those raised ribs on the top. I know it would be a lot of work but the back seat is just a little tight.
aramp1   +1y
Personally, I think it's a great idea, but, like you said, it's a lot of work for 3 more inches.

Are we talking streach the frame too or cut into the bed?

The problem with cutting into the bed to me is a big problem. I like having an 8 foot bed. That's why I would never buy a dodge mega cab. (except for the one below)

thread post photo

If you streach the frame, we're talking adding length to the driveshaft, brake lines, fuel lines and the electrical that goes to the back. I'd say to add another set of doors if you're going to go through all that trouble. Hell, I dream about having another two doors on my crew cab. I might do it too one day when it isn't my daily driver. It's hard enough to park this thing in the small spaces at the mall when it's crouded the way it is. With another two feet, hard enough just moved up to impossible.

thread post photo
Post was last edited on Nov 07, 2006 04:11. This post has been edited 3 times.
onefasthoagie   +1y
why are none of the ones in the pictures above slamed? at leaste photoshop them or something, it hurts my eyes.
aramp1   +1y

I know. I'm either all for up or down, not in between. It's the best I could do on short notice.
burntup   +1y
I like this one it looks real clean. he had a profile somewhere showing it being built.

low95xlt   +1y
yea that is whynotfab or somethign on SSm, added a extra cab to it but i guess he just broke the lugs off the rear on the way home and laid it out on the highway, like the rear drum was under the wheel or something i believe while stuck on the side of the highway and the tow dude said i can't help ya trucks to long, aint that a swift kick in the nadz
huskerdually   +1y
ya I seen that crew/ext cab in the newest streettrucks and was thinking that aint to bad an idea. As far as the wheelbase I would stretch it also. I may even stretch the bed if I do it. I think things need to look poportionat(spelling close). My bigggest problem is I don't want to give up any room but I got a stereo that is gonna take alot of room.
Page 1 of 1