Page 1 of 1
Dually Exterior \  widening fiberglass dually fenders

widening fiberglass dually fenders

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 8184
replies 8
following 5

krewzlo   +1y
I am in the process of widening my fenders to clear the 19's with a 3" body drop on my chevy c3500 dually. I spaced the fenders out 1.5" on each side and have the bolted back on. Now I am left with a 1.5 gap between the steel bed side and fiberglass dually fender. How would you guys suggest filling it in. I don't want to mold the fiberglass to the steel either. What I was thinking was to tape off the steel side and put fiberglass matting in the gap from the bottom side and just start building it up with f/g resin until it is close to shape and the do fiberglass filler and body filler to finish it off. Will it adhere to the fiberglass fender or will it crack eventually? I was also thinking of not molding it to the fender either and just keeping it a separate piece in between the bedside and the fender. Any suggestions? Please help!!! Sorry for the novel but I need to get this done soon.
lockone   +1y
The easiest thing to do IMO would be to cut the fender in half and get your 1.5" gap from there. That way you are bonding fiberglass w/ fiberglass. Or you could buy a set of fenders that are busted up on the bottom and cut the side that bolts to the bed 1.5" longer than the fenders you are going to use and glass them together without having to bridge a gap.

You need to hurry if you are bringing this beast to Slammin&Jammin. Hope that helps. Sorry if I confused you.
L8R
krewzlo   +1y
Thanks
lockone   +1y
No problem
burntup   +1y
why are you having to widen you fenders? I know why. is this a problem with 19's?
krewzlo   +1y
Its my trucks problem not the 19's. It has the gt4 widetrack option that won't tuck anything. I couldn't narrow the axle because of my art 4 link wouldn't fit plus I hate to give up my axle that is in good shape for a junk yard one or something that has a million miles on it. I am thinking of just leaving it spaced out with the gap between them and the bedside and stuffin some water noodles in there because I hate doing fiberglass work. That would look cool wouldn't it? Or I might just leave the gap cuz it throws major rooster tails!! I def. wouldn't have any tailgaters
lowboy   +1y

THATS HOW I SPACED MY ON. LIKE LOCK SAID. FIBERGLASS TO FIBERGLASS. MADE SOME 1/2 WIDE STRAP OUT OF 16 GUAGE. SCREWED IT ALLTOGETHER SO IT WOULD HOLD ITS SHAPE AND PUT A THIN LAYER OF GLASS ON THE OUTSIDE. PULLED THEM OFF AND PUT THREE LAYERS ON THE INSIDE. THEY ARE 2 INCHES TALLER AND ABOUT 2 INCHES WIDER. +/-

burntup   +1y
okay i was wondering. I am in the same boat but I think mine are going to tuck.
pig rig   +1y
here's a little help to add strangth: bevel your edges back a good inch and grid any were you think your going to want the glass to bond
also if you have a shop that sale's fiber glass products get some roving to put inbetween the layers of mat
but more then any thing get the air out. if you don't thats were you delamination will start
Page 1 of 1