Page 1 of 1
Dually Suspension \  Lowering Question

Lowering Question

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 2140
replies 7
following 6

noclrnce   +1y
I finally got parts to get my 87 R30 dropped. I bought Western Chassis 3 inch spindles and a Bell Tech 4 inch shackle/hanger kit. Ive never just lowered a vehicle. Ive always had some sort of adjustable suspension ( air ride or hydraulics ). My question is do I need to replace my factory shocks with a lowering shock? If so what are good ones to use?
ghostwhite   +1y
The front shock geometry won't change from just changing spindles but the rear may need new shocks because the lower shock mount is going to move from where it was at ride height before.

You might have enough shock length before full compression though so I would run it as is and see if the shocks bottom out when you drive.
robprice   +1y
Will you have to cut the bed? I want to drop my 87, but not slam it. I don't want to butcher the bed (when I find a nice one).
plumbers crack   +1y
Don't think you have to. I beleave that when a flip is done it might have to.
getsum   +1y
No bed cutting needed for a flip. Static 5/7 0r 6/8 with regular notch you will be fine.
someotherguy   +1y
Dunno about squarebodies but on 88-98 when you do a flip you often need to trim the bed cross support where it sits above the differential, or it'll smack it at full compression. Easy job and something to look out for in case the squarebody has a support in the same place.

Richard
getsum   +1y

Yeah, and don't let someone run your exhaust over the top of the pumpkin before you lower it and end up cutting the fu$%in exhaust you just paid to have put on off with a god@#mn sawzall at the muffler cuz when you drop it the pipe gets pinched and you are pissed about it.
someotherguy   +1y
D'oh! Yeah, I've been a "dump it at the muffler" guy for a long time now, who needs tailpipes anyway.

Richard
Page 1 of 1