threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Suspension \  What tie rods for lengthened control arms?

What tie rods for lengthened control arms?

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 2524
replies 8
following 5

john-e bravada   +1y
Has anyone found a stock tie rod to work on a SRW hub conversion? I stretched my lowers 2 1/2" and my uppers 3" and I'm at the end of the adjustment sleeves. I can cut a sleeve a tie rod end but I would like to find a moog PN for a factory tie rod end that will work.
john-e bravada   +1y
42 views and no responses, what is everyone doing to stretch their tie rods? Or even shorten if you are still running dually hubs?
evilbill   +1y
i would cut the adjustment collar in half then extend it with thick wall tubing overlapping it and weld it up good , i wouldnt cut the tie rod itself they are usually cast and i wouldnt trust welding cast.
krewzlo   +1y
I cut my tie rods and they were not cast. I did the inside half and beveled the cut ends, added a chunk of round bar, welded them together, then sleeved it twice to make sure it is nice and strong. The. Adjustment sleeves are thin metal and decided against lenghtening them. If I had the cash I would have had some new sleeves machined and threaded on both ends to make them a total bolt in piece but couldnt find a buddy that could machine the left hand female threads in the metric thread pitch. I am sure any good tool and die shop could build them though
john-e bravada   +1y
Yeah the 1st thing I did was weld on my old tie rod to see if it was cast iron or not. It welded pretty well. I like the bevel and sleeve. I once spliced a D44 mid shaft and welded it back together. It lived thru 39.5" TSL's and a heavy right foot. I even blew up a set of spiders in the open diff and never hurt the shaft.

I've found a longer adjusting sleeve ES440S @ 8.12" which is way too long compared to the stock ES2004S @ 4.75" but if it's threaded enough it could be trimmed on both ends to work. For tie rods I found an ES2000RTL @ 8.66" vs the stock ES409RT @ 6.75". Then there is the ES407RL @ 9.12" and ES2047RL @ 8.74" but both their large and small taper ODs are slightly off of stock. I guess I'll have to go to the parts store and maybe try some out.
john-e bravada   +1y
I found an over the counter solution. Here is my tie rod after the 2.5" arm stretch.
thread post photo

You can see how little thread engagement there is.
thread post photo

This is the ES440S sleeve compared to the stock ES2004S. The ES440S is an old Chrysler part 74'-82' New Yorker part.
thread post photo

thread post photo

With the ES440S there is plenty of thread engagement. I would say it could handle a 2"-3" arm stretch.
thread post photo

thread post photo

And there she is installed.
thread post photo
rockstar-c10   +1y
Do you lengthen the arms when you run srw hubs?
krewzlo   +1y
Only if you lengthen the arms, but I don't know if you can get by without doing that on any truck. On the c/k series you need to about 2.5-3" depending on wheel size.
jitteryguy   +1y
thats good to know, I'm bout to stretch a set for mine.
Page 1 of 1