Page 1 of 1
Dually Suspension \  Narrowed control arms question

Narrowed control arms question

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 1581
replies 5
following 4

macs? crew 48   +1y
Ok guys, I have spent the last 2 weeks looking for pictures of narrowed A-arms. Here is what I need, I know.I can shorten them 1 1/2" - 2", which would give me the clearance I need to rrun stock 16" dually rims under my '55 project until I can afford the BIG rims. Any information and pictures would be greatly helpful. Thanks RACKER/Mac's Crew 48.
macs? crew 48   +1y
I'm using a stock 74 Chevy one ton frame for this project if that helps.
krewzlo   +1y
I am not sure on your body style but you may run into issues with the wheels hitting when turning. By bringing everything in you may be limited in how much you are able to turn. Are you going to bag it or just static dropped? If you are bagging it you will also get less lift with shorter arms than your stock length ones. Any chance on narrowing the whole frame? I don't know how far into you are but that would be an option if you are just beginning. Another option is to extend your arms and then run fleetside (non dually) hubs/rotors. That is what many including myself have done to clear big wheels. I needed about 1.5" each side to be able to tuck. There are advantages with longer arms such as more lift, fleetside rotors are cheaper, etc.
racker   +1y
krewzlo: I have thought about the reduced steering, less lift and changing to 3/4 ton rotors. I will change the rotors and A-arms when I can afford the BIG rims but right now I don't have the 8k to dump into the rims (I know they are not that much for plain ones but if I'm going to bite, why not get what I want.) Never thought about narrow the frame but kinda late now, body is fully mounted and really don't want to go backwards at this point, got a deadline for Aug 23 for a road trip to Deadwood S.D. for a car show. Plus I'm not sure if the big block would fit in between the rails after taking 3"-4" out of it.

Main thing I'm wondering is do guys make the cut behind the ball joint/ middle/ frame side of the A-arms? I'm guessing behind the ball joint and PLATE the sh!t out of it when all done and said.
comegetsome   +1y
my dually frame is the same are yours......my arms are narrowed 1 inch per side......the rims rub the steering box on the driver side when i turn full lock.....if you narrow it more than that you wont be able to turn.....3/4 ton hubs and maybe 1 inch spacers would prolly be your best bet
macs? crew 48   +1y
Comegetsome: you know this is ALL your fault right? Lol

New plan, going to narrow the frame/crossmember in front of the firewall. Going to take between 3 1/2"-4" out of the crossmember. Should have any problem then.

Thank you guys from the input thou.
Page 1 of 1