Page 1 of 2
Dually Suspension \  5/8 static on 98 crew cab dually

5/8 static on 98 crew cab dually

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 3251
replies 17
following 8

someotherguy   +1y
I know most of y'all are on air but I'd like to go static with this truck, it currently has a slight body lift and 19.5 steelies. It also has a wheel lift wrecker unit under the bed.

Anyway I want to remove the body lift, that godawful front bumper, and drop this thing 5/8 static, looks like BellTech has a kit for everything I need.

What I've been trying to find out is what size tire people with a 5/8 drop are getting away with running. I'd like to stick to 19.5's and still work the truck but I'm thinking I'll be screwed trying to find tires short enough to work with the drop. It's got 225/70/19.5 on the front right now and I think that's supposed to be about just shy of a 32" tire.

C'mon.. this baby needs HELP

Thanks,
Richard
lockone   +1y
I am pretty sure that the tire you have is the smallest 19.5 made. Other than that drop that thing on down a little, do some trimming, and drive the hell out of it.
dragnasty   +1y
If you plan on doing a 5/8 drop, you may want to consider going back with the stock 16" steelies with 225/75/16. They will fit with that drop but will still maintain an E rating for the tires.
liljlowrider   +1y
yea what drag said for sure.. and have fun driving the beast around with a 5/8 static drop,tried that for about 3 months and went to bags.
someotherguy   +1y

I hear ya and that's good advice, but static drops don't bug me. My DD for the last 7 years/83K+ miles is a 5/7 C1500, and I've owned a couple of rigid framed Harley choppers.

Oh yeah, and a '54 Chevy 2 door sedan 50's custom style, with torched front coils and 3 leafs out of each rear pack, literally rode on the bumpstops. That was a loooooong time ago before I knew about notching.

So I'm a masochist.. the work truck I drive right now is a '98 3500HD wrecker, so it's got extra springs added on top of the already HD leafs, straight axle front end, ANYTHING I get into after that feels like a Cadillac!

Richard
someotherguy   +1y
lockone/dragnasty:

Yeah I was worried the 225/70 was the smallest 19.5 available. There's just not a lot of info on-line that I can find on that series of tires. I'd kinda hate to go back to 16's, I may just try dropping it down and seeing if it's going to fit. If it won't, well then I guess I don't have much choice.

If I was bucks-up I'd go semi's like you're running, but I got other money worries right now!

I know a few people that want to buy my 19.5's since usually to get an 8 lug 19.5 they're paying big bucks to Ricksons', I think after discussing it with some people that these came off an old heavy duty step van.

Richard
krewzlo   +1y
I'm pretty sure there not going to fit. Did you say it has a straight axle on the front of it? Is it a 4x4? As I remember the 16's were around 28" tall and they rubbed on mine when it was 5/7 quite a bit. I ended up running a 215/70/16 until I got my 19's. Those were not load rated but I did tow quite a bit on them.
someotherguy   +1y
Naw it's regular control arm front suspension, 2WD. It just sort of looks similar to a 3500HD (straight axle) because of the 19.5's.

Oh well what a gyp having to go back to 16's for a while. Maybe I can find some respectable used billet 16's to hold me over until I can go to some milled 19.5's or better. My main goal is to get it dropped, I can't stand the nose bleed height.

Richard
pig rig   +1y

damn dude how's your kidneys
dragnasty   +1y
sell the lift and get some 19"s or 22"s!