threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Suspension \  76 crew cab fleet side rear axle.

76 crew cab fleet side rear axle.

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 1846
replies 12
following 3

dante81_98   +1y
Hello,

I have a friend looking at getting a 76 crew cab with a fleet side bed. My question is about the axle. I know it is 8 lug, but that is all I really know about it. What would it take to convert it to a dually? Another option we are thinking about is swapping it to a newer 6 lug axle from a NBS Chevy (because we have easy access to one) and keeping the fleetside. Does anyone know if it would fit? I know he is not real keen on keeping the 8 lug on the fleetside bed.

Also, how hard would it be to come up with a dually bed for the truck?

Thanks,
Chad
pig rig   +1y
with the 6 lug you'll have more wheel options thats why this 88 crew that I just bought is going 5 lug
dante81_98   +1y
Yeah, the wheel options is why he would change it providing it stayed fleet side. Do you know if it is a "bolt in" deal or will the axle need narrowed or lengthened? Chances are we will be 4 linking it so I guess it is only the width that needs to match. And I guess if it is to narrow then he can just run a wheel with a large dish out back.

Later
Chad
pig rig   +1y
I dont know about yours but I've got an 86 half ton thats give'n up parts

whats the year of the rear end that you want to use 73-86 1\2-1 tons interchange 87-92 3\4&1 tons crew cabs &suberbans also fit
dante81_98   +1y
Not real sure what the doner vehicle will be just yet. We do have access to a NBS rear axle (99+). So any axle from 73-86 will bolt in?

Thanks,
Chad
pig rig   +1y
I don't know about the newer model years if all elas fells use a tape measure
dante81_98   +1y
Yeah, we are going to get some measurements soon, I just thought I would ask on here as well. I am sure we will figure something out.

Thanks,
Chad
pig rig   +1y
this might be more up lockone or dragnasty's ally
lockone   +1y
The axle out of the NBS Chevy will be wider than the axle in the truck now. May by about 3-4 inches.
If you want to make it a dually all you need is a set of adapters and a set of dually fenders. You can make it either an 8 or 10 lug dually with a set of adapters the 8 lug adapters are 450 and the 10 lug adapters are 850. A set of fiberglass dually fenders are usually around 500 bucks for a new set.
L8R
pig rig   +1y
was RIGHT