Page 1 of 2
Dually Suspension \  shorting the axle

shorting the axle

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 2391
replies 11
following 6

84crewcab   +1y
I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about having to shorten rear axle.I want to bodybrop the truck on its rockers so i will be cutting the pinch welds off.I would like to run a 22 with the 265-35 tire and will I have to section the dually fender to.

THANKZ
baha   +1y
I don't know alot about them I just know you have to have the axle housing shortened, and either the existing axles shortened & resplined or just buy new shorter axles and oh yea its not cheap lol
guilty by design   +1y
It is a pain. Ive narrowed many-a-ford 9''. Basicly you have to gut the entire rearend, get the tubes cut down and rewelded, then send the axles off to get resplined, then reassemble the whole thing. I got ahold of a 99 3/4ton rearend and found it was 3'' narrower than my 86 group 14. I think im going to be using it when i bag mine unless i can find some kind of load bearing issue. The only bad thing with the 3/4'' rearend is that the pinion is about 3'' further away from the tranny, so i gotta get a new driveshaft.
lockone   +1y
The rearend in my dually is out of a 83 C-30 panel truck or bread truck. They work great on bagged and b/d trucks. It was 3 inches narrower on each side when compared to the factory rearend.
84crewcab   +1y
so this axle will work on my 84 if so would it mount up in the factory spring location are will i have to put a 4-link on.
lockone   +1y
Not positive but I think that it is still shorter than your rearend because the bread trucks are not as wide as regular trucks.
dragnasty   +1y
it will bolt up to the factory leaf springs but it will still be shorter. Its also the same rearend that they put under the flatbed body duallys
outsiderz1   +1y
is that the same as off a old gm ambulance?
lockone   +1y
Should be, I will put the tape to mine today and see what the width is plate to plate.
outsiderz1   +1y

if u dont mind i would like to get that measurement so i know what to look for

thankz