Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  92 no spark

92 no spark

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 579
replies 4
following 1

Mattfoo83   +1y
After many years of not having a mazda i finally purchased another. Drove it home fine. Parked it. Came out today and no spark. When using a test light (l.e.d style) both the postive and ground wires are hot with the key on. Which i find weird. Also with the key on and sticking the test light at the end of the coil wire the light stays on. I can unplug the distrubtor and ecm with no change. What happened? Truck ran fine yesterday.

Also how can i gain access to my old account from years ago?
Mattfoo83   +1y
I actually unplugged everything... And it fired up... I found the (igniter?) plug wet with power steering fluid. Its on the coil bracket under the resivor
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
First of all, it is good the see that you figured out the problem in that the igniter circuit was probably open and you brought it back into the wiring circuit. But you asked some questions:

"When using a test light (l.e.d style) both the postive and ground wires are hot with the key on. Which i find weird. Also with the key on and sticking the test light at the end of the coil wire the light stays on"

You realize I am sure that the coil has a primary winding that receives positive 12vdc when the key is on. The primary winding grounds through the igniter, which breaks the circuit. Until it does, you have pass through positive 12vdc through the coil to the negative post on the coil. Once the igniter works the negative side of the coil looses current and your probe would begin to flash every time the field collapses. Hope that helps.
Mattfoo83   +1y
Yes that is correct. And something I didn't think about.... You cant use an led style test light to check a coil. There's a different in resistance from a normal test light
Post was last edited on May 31, 2017 06:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
Page 1 of 1