Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  cylinder head replacement

cylinder head replacement

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 580
replies 3
following 1

B   +1y
Ok so I have been blowing my number 2 spark plug out of the cylinder head. It has happened a couple of time now even after tapping it out and using a heli-coil with red rtv. So I have ordered a brand new cylinder head. I just wanted to know if there was any helpful hints or tips and tricks that might make the install smooth and efficiently. Also I decided to go with a mechanical head instead of the hydraulic cause the shop I ordered it from recommended it say it was a much nicer head and the same price. Also the rocker arms are adjustable which would help because they are known to get an annoying lift tick. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Post was last edited on Nov 11, 2016 03:11. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
Many people claim that you need the cam for the mechanical rockers too. Also, you're going to want to adjust the rockers tighter than the .012" Mazda specs. As a B2000 owner with mechanical rockers, I recommend .006" for intake, and .008" for the exhaust.
Cusser   +1y
Heli-coils don't seem to work so well for spark plug holes. On my VW engine, I've used a solid threaded insert for a few years now, and I installed that without removing the engine or cylinder head. If I have any issues in the future, I'll go with Time-Sert.

The best solid thread inserts to repair threads are called Time-Serts, for a permanent repair. Again, the cylinder head does not need to be removed to do Time-Serts either, but Time-Serts require renting the installation tool. Sites like aircooled.net rent the tool and sell inserts as well. http://www.time-sert.com/
Page 1 of 1