threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  Weak spark from brand new coil!!

Weak spark from brand new coil!!

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 606
replies 5
following 1

mazdabboy   +1y
I recently bought a 88 mazda b 2200, two days later it stalled out and I'm having trouble getting it running again.
Here's what happened:
I was shifting from st to 2nd and the truck lost power and stalled out, I pulled into a side street and when I popped the hood there was a lot of white smoke coming from the air conditioner compressor which had seized up and the belt from the compressor to the crank shaft pulley had broken. A little bit later some water shot out of the radiator overflow tank. I was thinking a blown head gasket but there is no water in the oil but the truck won't crank up.
Here's what I've done:
I though that the compressor freezing up could've made the truck jump timing so I set the crank and cam shaft to TDC, replaced the coil, timing belt, distributor cap and rotor and still the truck will turn over but won't crack. I'm getting a weak yellow spark from this brand new coil and no spark at all from the distributor, does anyone have an idea of what' going on?
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Make sure you have 12v going to the coil positive side. Have you tried pouring in a little bit of gas into the carb to see if it will light off that way. How many miles are on the odometer?

You may have an igniter that has gone bad.
Post was last edited on Oct 22, 2016 06:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
mazdabboy   +1y
Yeah, I'm getting 12v going into the coil and it has about 200k miles
mazdabboy   +1y
I replaced the igniter and I'm still not getting the truck to crank, any other ideas?
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Well, that kind of sucks. When you refer to the ignighter you mean the part inside the distributor, correct? That part replaces points.

A weak spark indicates high impedance in the wire. Do you have a multimeter you can check the wires with? You can use a screw driver shoved into the wire end to see if you can get spark to jump about 1/2 ". I would look inside the cap to see if the carbon brush has maybe fallen out. It's not likely but something is preventing spark from following the rotor to the outer poles on the distributor.

Is there a chance that the distributor is out of phase with the firing order?

Have you run a compression test to rule out low compression as a possibility?

Have you taken the plugs out to inspect them?

Is there a chance that the timing belt pulley on the crankshaft has gone loose on the crank. That would be a real nightmare.
Page 1 of 1