Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  92 b2200 Ac not getting power

92 b2200 Ac not getting power

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 543
replies 9
following 2

murph   +1y
Just got this truck. It didn't have the belt on the compressor. Changed all belts, compressor turns freely but clutch doesn't engage. Someone has cut the outer shielding away from the power wire on the compressor so I tested there, not getting power. Apply power straight from the batt clutch engages like it should. So....trying to figure out where the power is being lost. Fuse not blown. Blower resistor brand new replaced by me. Ac switch on dash, used 2 different ones same result. I hear the relay clicking when I press the Ac switch on the dash. Where should I go from here?? Thanks
sincitylocal   +1y
There should be a low pressure switch on the receiver/drier, that's designed to prevent damage, and cuts power to the clutch if the system becomes undercharged.
murph   +1y
This will be my first dealing with anything Ac related. I can lower the truck, instal stereos, all the fun stuff. What would this look like and where is located?
murph   +1y
I did notice when I jumped power to it it DID NOT get cold at all. Would charging it first then see if the clutch comes on be the right track?
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
There is a low pressure switch which cuts power to the AC clutch when your R-12 gas level is low. What sincitylocal said. Find the leak, repair the leak and then recharge the system.
murph   +1y
Thanks guys. This may be a job for a shop. I've wasted a lot of time and money already on just this one issue. May be time to let a pro take it.
Cusser   +1y
"There is a low pressure switch which cuts power to the AC clutch when your R-12 gas level is low. What sincitylocal said. Find the leak, repair the leak and then recharge the system." This is most likely. Take it to a real AC shop, have them diagnose the leak and you or them repair, then fill with R-12. Don't jump or run compressor any more until fixed. NEVER add any stop leak product or refrigerant containing stop leak, you'll ruin the system.

Only do R134a if the system has already been converted.
murph   +1y
I don't have any way of knowing the vehicles past. I just got it from out of state a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner was a kid who knew nothing about the Ac system or even why it was missing a belt. I'll take it to a shop next week and see what they will charge to get me working again. Thanks for all the help
Cusser   +1y
Remember: R-12 refrigerant is legal to use in USA, and is still available for purchase legally (to those with 609 certifications). In most cities there will be AC shops that still can do R-12 systems without the issues of "converting" to R134a. The R-12 that would go into a system (2 lbs) is NOT a consumable, a one-time cost, and saves cost of flushing lines free of R-12 type oil and adding oil compatible with R134a, new service ports (another source of potential leakage), etc.
Page 1 of 1