threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Wheels Tires \  Bent Rear CV Axle?

Bent Rear CV Axle?

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 1765
replies 6
following 1

coltron5k   +1y
Hey all! I have a few questions I hope someone can help with, hopefully this is the right section...

So some months ago I was driving like a fool and hit a curb very aggressively. I'd give you the story if you want but what it boils down to is what I'm assuming at this point to be a bent rear driver side CV Axle.

I'm wondering mostly about the install process, what do I need besides the CV/shaft?
Anything I should look for particularly?

I have a '91 B2200

Also where should I be looking for the Axle? I can't seem to find them around easily and the prices vary, does it have to be the rear drivers side CV?

Thanks in advance!
Post was last edited on May 31, 2016 09:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
No cv shaft on the rear of your truck. It's just an axle shaft.
You'll need to remove the brake assy, then remove the nuts/bolts that hold the backing plate on. From there ithe shaft just slides out. It may need to be persuaded.
Post was last edited on May 31, 2016 07:05. This post has been edited 2 times.
coltron5k   +1y
Thanks!
Is it JUST the shaft? No need for gaskets or seals? I thought I'd be losing fluid.

Also where's a good place to find the part? Is it easy enough to take from the wreckers?

Is this the right part?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C1A21628

Sorry if my questions are silly or unnecessary. I've never worked on this part of my truck nor anyone else's and all the info I could find was on Hondas...
Post was last edited on Jun 01, 2016 03:06. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
Those guys aren't gear heads, and they're using a generic picture. The listing appears to be correct, but the terminology is partially wrong. You can easily pull the axle from a junk yard truck, if you have a decent tool bag. If you're careful when removing the shaft, you can reuse the seals.

Before you do this tear down, I'd check the wheel to eliminate it from the equation. It would suck to go through all this and then find out it was just a bent wheel.
coltron5k   +1y
Yeah I was surprised Newegg had parts at all... Just trying to figure out what I'm looking for.
Other sites have them specified by location then the pictures look the same so I'm having a hard time trying to find the one I need specifically.

I replaced the wheel already so unfortunately it'll be the long way around this time.

However you've helped a ton, thanks!

Last thing though is about the fluid/oil. I should lose some in the process right? What/how much do I need?

If not excuse my ignorance
sincitylocal   +1y
If you jack the axle up an inch higher on the side you're doing this, there should be no oil loss. If there is, it shouldn't be enough to worry about.
Page 1 of 1