threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  New guy!!! 93 b2200 carb. Won't start!!!!

New guy!!! 93 b2200 carb. Won't start!!!!

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1031
replies 8
following 2

92awd4g63   +1y
I purchased a 93 b2200 with 143,509 miles. I paid $500 for it. It is in great condition both inside and out. It is a one owner vehicle. The guy told me it was running rough and then it just quite. He thought it jumped time. So I brought it home and verified the timing is good. I checked the compression and all cylinders are over 130psi. I then checked for spark and replaced the cap, rotor button, wires, and plugs. All plugs are sparking as they should. I then checked for fuel to the carb. I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter and its getting fuel to the carb. The problem is that it won't start even with starting fluid. Can anyone please help me get this thing running!?!?!?!? I have no experience with Mazda's or carburetors. Please help!!!!!
JCooper   +1y
Sounds like you have checked most everything and your on the right path. Did you double check firing order? Sounds simple enough but I've seen it cause many starting issues because it is simply overlooked. Also, did you ever take distributor out? could be a tooth off.
Found this, it may be helpful. http://www.mazdatrucking.com/B2200/B22TimeCheck.html
Post was last edited on Feb 24, 2016 07:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
92awd4g63   +1y
Thanks alot for the response! I was able to get it to start a couple days ago buy loosening the distributer bolt and pushing to full retarded. It started right up! Once it was warmed up I put the distributer back to the middle and it ran a little rough. When you give it throttle, it will bog, then pick up ok, and then basically die around 3000rpm. I drove it up the road and I have to drive it with my foot to the floor to make it go. Again, I have no experience with carburetors. Any ideas on where to go next?
Cusser   +1y
Like Cooper posted, I wonder if the distributor is a gear tooth off. Set the engine to TDC #1 position, pull off the distributor cap, rotor should be at 9 o'clock position. A timing light would help out here too, think the issue is distributor-related. So don't touch the carb, B2200 are more complex than the Space Shuttle.
92awd4g63   +1y
I have read that they are quite complicated. I made the decision that if it is anything carb related than a Weber will be replacing it. And I will borrow a timing light and check that out this evening. Thanks gentlemen.
JCooper   +1y
cusser is right, i pulled my distributor off when i replaced components and ended up being a tooth off. Try that first.
On another note, a buddy of mine had accidentally timed his distributor on exhaust stroke of engine instead of compression stroke when setting #1 piston to TDC- and he had the same bogging symptoms. But check to make sure your not a tooth off one way or the other first. I'm sure your carb is fine.
JCooper   +1y
I ended up going weber- usually factory adjusted so typically you don't need to adjust anything. But stick to your plan first- check the timing and distributor first, otherwise your weber will pop, and spit all the same.
Post was last edited on Feb 24, 2016 07:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
92awd4g63   +1y
So I borrowed my buddies timing light and set the ignition timing as best I could. I set it to about 3° before TDC and it still had a little skip. I set it exactly on TDC and it runs great. Still has a little skip but it drives excellent. I did take the upper timing cover off and found that the timing belt is a little loose. I'm going to change it, index my distributer properly and I'll see how it runs. Thanks for the help guys.
JCooper   +1y
Glad you got it figured out! One investment I found very useful is a timing light. One time purchase and it has helped in every pickup I have worked on.
Page 1 of 1