Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  89 2200 v8 swap

89 2200 v8 swap

Mazda Projects
views 3678
replies 12
following 4

Bighead   +1y
Just got this truck off my dad. I rebuilt the bottom end after he got it. Was knocking real bad so we got new crank, oil pump,everything new. Few months later it cracked the head. Ordered new head and installed it. Blew head gasket a year later and my dad said he'll with it. So now I'm planning on building a toy out of it for the summer weekends. Would like to stick a small block Chevy in it but worried about clearance for the distributor. Anyone have any advice or pics of a build. Would be greatly appreciated.
sincitylocal   +1y
If you go with the small distributor, you can push the motor pretty close to the firewall. Go with the large HEI distributor, and you'll be cutting into the firewall for a notch.
I don't have proper build pics, but my truck is here. http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/showthread.php/4043-Che-Zoom!
geterdun   +1y
I am a GM guy ('90' extended cab, 4.3 with automatic) but for distributor, Ford engines have distributor in the front.
Bighead   +1y
Building a 350 for it. Got a 350 turbo and a 12 bolt rear. Gonna just tear it down to the frame and go from the ground up. Put a cage in it to tighten it up. Shouldn't be too bad. Was gonna go Ford with it but saw too many done with Ford powerplants because of the firewall issue. Thanks guys and any further advice is appreciated.
sincitylocal   +1y
Just ask.
geterdun   +1y
Just remember, the heater core is dead center against the firewall inside. With this goes the a/c.
Bighead   +1y
Well, change of plans. The SBC is going in my K5 Blazer. I'm sticking a 91 5.0 out of mustang in it. Gettin ready to start cleaning it up for paint soon. Will post pics as work progresses. Thanks for all the input guys. Really nice to have a place to get a heads up on any issues I may come across.
347 stroker   +1y
Are you keeping it EFI.... or are you planning on going carb. Yes keep the pictures coming.

sincitylocal... hadn't seen your truck before, enjoyed your other thread, nice build!
sincitylocal   +1y
Thanks. Still working on it, but the honey-do list keeps me away from it for months at a time.
347 stroker   +1y
Yeah know the feeling!