Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  New guy, had engine rebiult, choke-idle issues

New guy, had engine rebiult, choke-idle issues

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 851
replies 3
following 1

2204lw   +1y
Hi, new to the forum, names Lauren. Have 1989 B2200. Decided to have the engine rebuilt at a local garage that has been fairly reliable for me. Well it is going back for the fourth time. It had idle/choke issues they said it needed a new carb so 530.00 later it still has idle issues. I live on the border of Washington and Oregon, as much as I would like to fix it myself I have no garage and it is getting cold out. I am wondering if anyone from Oregon or Washington knows a GOOD B2200 mechanic. They do seem to be unique vehicles that the average general auto shop (at least the one I use) has a hard time with.
Cusser   +1y
Bad idle on these carbureted B2200 is often caused by vacuum leak. Garage needs to check EVERY vacuum hose and port and make sure none are loose, cracked or disconnected. On a carbureted B2200, an EGR valve that's stuck open or partially open can also cause bad idle and stalling (most EGR valves can be cleaned and made workable, expensive new). Since the carb was off for rebuilding, then must not be any vacuum leaks at is base where it attaches either. These B2200 carburetors are like the most complex known to mankind, most manufacturers had gone to fuel injection years before !!!
2204lw   +1y
I need to clarify. ANY BODY IN OREGON OR WASHINGTON. The auto shop rebuilt my engine, sending the block and head out to a machine shop. They got back a short block and rebuilt head. All they had to do was put oil pan, timing belt, oil pump, water pump etc back on the engine. Not many people have seen as much vacuum system as Mazda used. That was an issue for them, I think they got it, I haven't checked every line yet. Well when they started it up it ran ok. Then the next cold morning the choke would not work. They didn't seem to understand the electric choke with no adjustment. So they said new carb, which will have a new choke on it. Still didn't work, I took it back frustrated! After a couple days they called ok we got it. The next day it was frosty, truck started right up fast idle ok it still would not idle down below 1000 rpm after it was completely warm. I got to looking and there was a new red wire running to the firewall, I followed it under the dash and it came under the fuse box and was jammed in next to a fuse. Now I am pissed, I go back to ask what they were thinking. Well there was no power to the connector that the choke was plugged into to they just ran a wire to get power. So I am embarrassed, why am I going to this shop. This is why I am looking for anybody that knows a good mechanic in Oregon or Washington. It will be easier for someone who is familiar with a B2200 to figure out what they have messed up.
Cusser   +1y
Yeah, the electric choke wire has like 7.2 volts and plugs into the rear of the alternator.
Page 1 of 1