Page 1 of 1
Mini Truckin General \  Air bagged trailer

Air bagged trailer

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 8847
replies 6
following 3

broadband   +1y
Has anyone built a tandem axle car hauler on air? I want to build one thatays out flat enough that I don't need ramps. These guys make one kind if what I was thinking about http://www.airbaggedtrailers.com. I had thought about using 4 axle shafts with 4 2000lb hubs and each axle would be attached to it's own control arm. The front set of control arms would face to the back of the trailer and the back set of axles would face to the front of the trailer. Is there any issues with having the control arm point forward instead of backwards? Or does anyone have any plans or pictures of one they have built?
guiltybydesign   +1y
Ive got fully rendered CAD drawings on a 2 car gooseneck that lays out using standard axles, just waiting for somebody to let me build it for them. Altho the aussie guy is having success with his trailer design I just do not like the idea of pushing a wheel down the road like his rear wheels are.
broadband   +1y
That's what I was thinking too. You would want all your wheels to be dragged over any kind of bump or pothole instead of being pushed. I had a few ideas as well for using a solid axle but haven't decided which way to go yet. I don't want to use any ramps at all but I want more than 5-6 inches of clearance at the beaver tail end. I have seen guys build a drop in the tail end to get it on the ground but then the only clearance you have when driving is the amount that the bag lifts it off the ground. Our roads are too bad so I need a foot or more of clearance
broadband   +1y
I wonder if you could use something like a car or truck control arm and have them point out the sides of the trailer like they do on a vehicle.
broadband   +1y
Yah I had mentioned airbaggedtrailers.com but the main concern is that your rear set of tires is being pulled down the road so I can only imagine what kind of damage would happen if your tire fell into a large pothole. I am leaning towards a control arm that points backwards to "drag" your tire rather than "push" them. But now the concern is do you put both axles on one control arm or build one short control arm per axle for each side.
broadband   +1y
Kind of like this system
post photo
Page 1 of 1