Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  What lower control arm 97-03 F-150 works well with air bag

What lower control arm 97-03 F-150 works well with air bag

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 5999
replies 10
following 8

LType   +1y
Hello all. I have an 01 Lightning that I bagged several years ago. Its for sale, although I havnt had much luck yet. A couple of years ago I had some problems that I didnt have time to tackle with due to job constrictions. I had a reputable shop fix the issues. The further they got into working on the truck, the more they suggested be fixed. One issue they encountered was that my RE6 bags were rubbing my DJM control arms. This was true as I had replaced a bag on that side before. The DJM control arms allowed my truck to lay hard and camber was serious. It looked great and rode great. They ended up plating my DJM control arms which they told me would raise the truck up a bit when layed out. I put some Belltech spindles and bigger bags on it to help lower back to "where it was", but the truck still didnt lays as low and with my wheel setup (22" Dvinci) I have space issues. Id like to go back to a similar setup. What control arm setup will allow me to lay low with lots of negative camber again?
jaredmxg   +1y
There are allot of control arm brands out there. and I'm sure most of them are going to perform the same. Anyone is welcome to correct me on that if they want. But over the years I haven't heard very many complaints from any aftermarket arm. Call around do some research on them, prices, metal thickness, Ball joint capability, bushings etc. I could pretty much tell you anything would probably do you better then stock arms, rubbing wise.
tre5   +1y
I don't know why anyone would want crazy negative camber when you can have it done correctly????

If you decide you want it done correctly, use your stock spindles and some Michigan Metal Works control arms. I had them on my personal 2001 and it rode and drove awesome. It also had a great camber curve, so you may not like them, lol.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Yep, this is one of our kits on a Lightning here, not sure why you would want more camber, seems strange, and seems like something you would get sick of very quickly.

Anyways, here is the Michigan Metal Works kit on a lightning:

post photo
IMLOWER   +1y
if you want to do aftermarket arms you cant go wrong with the michigan metal works arms. if your trying to do it on the cheap put your stock arms back on flip the lower balljoint use a chrystler cordoba balljoint and raise you upper arms up about 2.5" also flip your tie rods you will have very little camber and it will work great
phat phabrikationz   +1y
Potter is on it! I took that advice on an expedition I was working on with 26s. The Expo almost laid out with that setup with little camber and cost next to nothing.
NaviGangsta   +1y
Stock arms with the mods listed above.
LType   +1y
Its not that i want the crazy camber. I mean I dont mind it as its only like that when completely dropped. It became obvious now with this setup that it was necessary (i think) with the wheel dimensions I have. It looks as if the Michigan Metal Works ones may be the way to go. My original plan was to use DJM control arms and spindles to correct camber as I had seen some do back then. Sonce the truck is for sale I would really just like to get some more DJM lowers and fix the rubbing issue, but as yall pointed out once again the MIchigan Metal Works seems like the best long term.

Here is the old setup
LType   +1y
Its not that i want the crazy camber. I mean I dont mind it as its only like that when completely dropped. It became obvious now with this setup that it was necessary (i think) with the wheel dimensions I have. It looks as if the Michigan Metal Works ones may be the way to go. My original plan was to use DJM control arms and spindles to correct camber as I had seen some do back then. Sonce the truck is for sale I would really just like to get some more DJM lowers and fix the rubbing issue, but as yall pointed out once again the MIchigan Metal Works seems like the best long term.

Here is the old setup