Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  I have an idea

I have an idea

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 743
replies 12
following 8

BIGJEFF64   +1y
I have an 87 Ranger single cab thats been sittin in the same spot now for 17 years. the family member parked it cuz he bought a new vehicle in 98 and never started it again!! i live in the woods of north florida where its probably infested with snakes and spiders (YAY).

Im tryin to figure out what i would need to do to get it running i know changing the oil and probably gas since its most likely ether. and what ever hoses or wires need to be changed but is there something im missing?
slamditbig   +1y
timing belt
BIGJEFF64   +1y
--------------------------------------------

slamditbig said:

timing belt

awesome i completely missed that 1 too!!!

is it even worth it to attempt this or would i be better finding a junk yard motor and tranny. the rear end im sure can be built back since it ran perfectly
FluffyFreak   +1y
if fuel economy aitna issue id almost say go V-8 and graba 302 or 4.6 outta stang and make it a runner :TUP:
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
the insides are probably rusted to no end. it might be worth a shot just for shits and giggles but for a long-term runner, id do a swap
simple-pleasurez   +1y
take out the spark plugs and spray penetrating oil into each before trying to fire up. all belts should be checked.
BIGJEFF64   +1y
thanks everyone ive gotta pull it out of its resting place and see if the body is even in decent shape i looked through the windows and from what i can i think there is grass growing through the floor. im gonna try to get some pics today and post up what im dealing with.
BIGJEFF64   +1y
Edited: 5/4/2012 9:51:21 AM by BIGJEFF64

so i got some pics today of what im looking at. i tried to get up close but there was alot of rustling under the truck so im thinkin its a snake bed under there ill be able to get a better inspection once i pull it out of there. on with the pics!!!!

i dont see a lot of rust issues just some surface rust but i didnt feel brave enough to get close to the doors to look inside or try to open it. i live on a 1200 acre cow farm and there are moccasins and rattle snakes everywhere and especially now since its spring we already had 2 cows die from snake bites so im tryin to use as much precaution as possible.

im still undecided on what i wanna do i may just scrap this thing and put the money towards whatever i wanna go with.
post photo
post photo
post photo
FluffyFreak   +1y
Yeah man that looks Hella sketch. Id call billy the exterminator before touching it
BIGJEFF64   +1y

FluffyFreak said:

Yeah man that looks Hella sketch. Id call billy the exterminator before touching it

^^^^ this!!!!! ima see whats what but im thinkin i just need to start from scratch and look for a new project but it would be fun to tear into and have a practice truck if not i can attempt to part it out