threads
Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  97-2002 f150 lower bll joint flip!?

97-2002 f150 lower bll joint flip!?

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 1484
replies 10
following 7

98FRMED150   +1y
Ok ive searched and found acouple of threads about this but something doesnt make sence to me at all. I have djm lowers and seen some peeps do the ball joint flip with these which is what im trying to do! One guy used a cordoba bj and another used a c10 bj...even seen a 1/2 ton 90' model lower ball joint...my thing is how are they getting it through the control arm?

Id have to take out about 1/4 inch of material out where the bj goes...is this safe...doesnt seem to be much material left after this would be done!? the cordoba,c10,silverado bjs tend to all be the same diameter...am i missing something? help please!
thacru78   +1y
The cordoba BJ is a very tight fit...but no material has to be removed. The Chevy BJ will not fit in the stock arm. I've bagged 2 of these trucks. One on 24's with custom LCA arm with a flipped Chevy BJ and one on stock arms with the cordoba BJ. Both got the job done...
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Regardless, with any of those ball joints you mentioned you need to flip the ball joint to the bottom side of the spindle, becuase all 3 of them are tension designed ball joints, and the stock one is a compression design that mounts from the top.

With any of them, you will need to reverse ream the spindle, from the bottom side with a tapered reamer. DO NOT remove any material from the spindle it self, there weak enough as it is. I would put down whatever tool your using to do that, and step away for a bit and think about what your doing. A big truck like that you want to do it right.

From what i would logically gather, people are machining cups for their chosen ball joints, then welding that cup to the arm in some fassion, then pressing the ball joint in, really dont know how else they would work safely....

Any of the f150 arms i produce i machine a cup, and weld it to the custom arm, then reverse ream the spindle.

Taylor
98FRMED150   +1y
i get what your saying taylor...your the one i talked to on the phone about this awhile back...i already reamed my spindles for my ball joints...they are perfect...but neither of you answered my question. theres a thread on here where some guys used ***DJM*** tube lowers and used a cordoba and a 90' model 1/2 ton bj...theres no way they would fit in my DJM lowers...i was wondering if any one has done this? what all did they do...any info on it? im not running factory lowers and dont intend to. like i said my spindles are done for my chevy bjs...im wondering about my djm lowers!? maybe ill just have to get your flat plate lowers. would the taper i just did on my spindles work for the bjs you supply with the lowers taylor? hate to start from scratch but if i have to oh well!
IMLOWER   +1y
what year cordoba did you look up you need MOOG PN# K7069 and they press right in
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Either way, on the stock arm, or the DJM arms, i could not see doing it any other way than machining a cup, and welding it to the arm. Pressing the ball joint into that plate that DJM uses, i believe its only 3/8 thick or 1/2" your putting a tension ball joint on somewhat thin plate for the lower.

thats just me personally, i dont think i would try augering out the DJM BJ plate to fit a tension style ball joint in it to flip, but apparently it can be done, so it should work.

Taylor
98FRMED150   +1y
ya thats the part # but theres no way that thing is pressing in without some mods...ill just get your flat plate lowers when im ready....dont want to chance it trying to make 10 different things work! thanks.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
No worries man. If you get a chance, snap some pics of the mods you had to do to that lower, seems kind of exstensive, im not sure how they would drop in place, but ive never tried it before...

Taylor
98FRMED150   +1y
i havent did it yet...my buddy has a machine shop but dont wanna go threw the bs trying to make it work if it aint worth it...ill just save some cash and get your lowers...do i need to email you to geta price on uppers and lower? uppers with jeebus and lowers with press in bj...both narrowed for 24's.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
yea, just send me over an email, i will have to look up the price on just the arms, i only have them listed as a complete front end kit on my site. I will get you a quote on all that you need. info@michiganmetalworks.com

Taylor