threads
Page 1 of 1
Full Size Truckin General \  Anyone have a clue if a 96 Tahoe body will fit on a 91 CK1500 frame?

Anyone have a clue if a 96 Tahoe body will fit on a 91 CK1500 frame?

Full Size Truckin General General Discussions
views 928
replies 9
following 5

clemsontravis14   +1y
The wheel bases are the exact same at 117.5". I know that I will have to modify the rear of the frame where it is notched, but I'm thinking these two will mate right together.

I have a 91 CK1500 that is stock floored, but I have come across a 96 tahoe without a motor for very cheap. I am planning on doing a body swap here. I am just hoping that it is going to be easier than expected.

Hopefully someone here has done this and will see this thread.
tre5   +1y
rear frame and rear body mounts will be different
clemsontravis14   +1y
I know the rear frame will be different. My trucks frame is custom from the motor back. I know I'm going to have to redo the rear part and move the notch. When you say the rear body mounts are different, to u mean the furthest back? On my cab, there are 2 mounts on each side. Aren't there 3 on each side of the Tahoe?

Im asking these questions bc I don't have the Tahoe in my city yet.
maz duh   +1y
A body shop that has the mitchel program will be able to print you off a sheet with the dimensions of both frames that you can take home and compare to eachother to see how close of a match they are. These spec sheets will have your widths, wheel base, body mounts etc on them so it should be pretty easy to see how much work it will be to do the switchover.
BK2LIFE   +1y
--------------------------------------------

clemsontravis14 said:

I know the rear frame will be different. My trucks frame is custom from the motor back.

well there is your answer.

yes it will fit, no it wont bolt up, yes new body mounts will have to be fabbed.

tre5   +1y
The body mounts are totally different on the rear portion of the frame. The most forward ones may be the same, but from there back they will be different. The truck is meant to mount a bed, and obviously the tahoe doesn't have a bed and will have different mounting points.
If you're already working with a 3/4 frame that you built I would just build another one. If you have any hopes of keeping the rear seat in the tahoe, you will most likely need to redesign your frame around the axle so that it is as tight as possible to the axle. Plus, like already stated, you will need to redo your body mounts. Probably your gas tank and mounts and so on. If you search my threads, I have built both a tahoe and a extended cab in this body style and there plenty of pictures on my photobucket account which is accessible from my website.
clemsontravis14   +1y

maz duh said:

A body shop that has the mitchel program will be able to print you off a sheet with the dimensions of both frames that you can take home and compare to eachother to see how close of a match they are. These spec sheets will have your widths, wheel base, body mounts etc on them so it should be pretty easy to see how much work it will be to do the switchover.

Thanks. I'll check into that.
clemsontravis14   +1y

tre5 said:

The body mounts are totally different on the rear portion of the frame. The most forward ones may be the same, but from there back they will be different. The truck is meant to mount a bed, and obviously the tahoe doesn't have a bed and will have different mounting points. If you're already working with a 3/4 frame that you built I would just build another one. If you have any hopes of keeping the rear seat in the tahoe, you will most likely need to redesign your frame around the axle so that it is as tight as possible to the axle. Plus, like already stated, you will need to redo your body mounts. Probably your gas tank and mounts and so on. If you search my threads, I have built both a tahoe and a extended cab in this body style and there plenty of pictures on my photobucket account which is accessible from my website.

Thanks for the response. I'll check out your pics of builds. If the forward mounts are the same, it sounds like the easiest thing will be to cut my current frame off behind the front mount and start over.
clemsontravis14   +1y
DOES ANYONE ON HERE HAVE THE SOFTWARE TO PRINT FRAME SPECS OR HAVE A SOURCE THAT CAN?

I WILL PAY FOR FRAME SPEC DRAWINGS OF THESE 2 VEHICLES.
clemsontravis14   +1y
COMPLETE CHANGE OF PLANS NOW EVERYONE.

I JUST FOUND A 97 TAHOE FRAME FOR $300. I'M PRETTY SURE THE 97 FRAME AND 95 ARE THE SAME. ANYONE THINK THEY ARE NOT?
Page 1 of 1