threads
Page 2 of 2
Body work and Paint \  Pitfalls of Shops & How can I better serve you.

Pitfalls of Shops & How can I better serve you.

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 877
replies 19
following 15

BIGDNCAZ   +1y
--------------------------------------------

seanb said:

2. How do I get more (any) work from SSM members? Is there a problem I'm not aware of? Is there something I can do differently? And what can I be doing better to serve you guys?

--------------------------------------------

I've seen your work for years and have always thought it was impeccable! My favorite that I believe you painted was Jen & Jason Miller's Ranger. I have never heard a bad word about you or work, so I'm not sure that there are any specific problems there. I would love to have you do work for me on one of my future projects, the problem I have is that you are all the way on the other side of the country from me. I have a hard time being that far from the work being performed.

dumpednshaved   +1y
I also agree with what you are saying and have been on both sides as well. I too am one of the ones that has loved your work throughout the years. Airbrushing is my favorite thing about a car or truck. I absolutely love art and that exactly what you are putting on a car or truck. I would love to have you do work for me as well in the future. I've only heard good things about you and your work really is amazing. I wish you would put more build threads on here. I think it could help get more business from this site. I know I would be one to follow the builds.
seanb   +1y
Okay, that's constructive. You'd like to see more build threads. I think I can handle that if you don't mind cars and bikes mixed in there. I'm still listening. What else can I do for you guys? I understand the distance thing. Is there a price perception about my work
dumpednshaved   +1y
Doesn't really matter what it is your painting. I think most people are still interested b/c your in the scene and its still custom work. I would do more with your facebook page too and maybe post that in your signature. I just got into the facebook thing not too long ago but I really enjoy seeing updates from "liked" pages on there. Tre5, Little Shop, Ekstensive, etc. is just a few examples. Think you could get a following from here on there as well but still show build threads on here. I have never heard anything about your prices but if its anything like your work then it is out of this world. lol. I doubt you prices are though. Hopefully my feedback helps and I hope to see a lot from you in the future. I will like your page as well.
ahab   +1y
Wes is correct. If you want to get more biz off of this site you have to post more of your work. I would say anything you paint is going to be custom so post it all. Ive seen a couple shops that have posted a "whats going on at the shop" type thread. You could do somthing like that and just post everything you are working on. I know that dude Lost Cause was posting a bunch of stuff on here and seemed like he was doin pretty good with it.
Layumon22s   +1y
I'll go along with Wes and say that it's all about exposure. Facebook, build thread, etc get your work out there.

From a price standpoint, I think you're in a great zone. From the ballpark numbers we've tossed around in the past, I feel like your prices were AMAZING. I know it's been a few years and materials have gone up but think you're probably fine.

You also have to remember that getting a truck finished and ready for paint is where most trucks die out. There are a lot of bagged/bodied/shaved awesome rides with no interior and no paint. Paint jobs are expensive, no doubt. People probably have in their minds the $400 Maaco special and think if they triple that they should get something amazing when $1200 doesn't even cover materials for a nice job...

And last... sadly airbrushing just isn't done much more in the car scenes. You see maybe 1 or 2 features across all magazines a year that are heavy graphics or airbrush. bikes seem to growing or moving towards that specific "theme." The current themes are "budget/garage builds." I would think most people don't want to say "yeah I built my entire truck in my garage, by myself with some buddies" with an amazing airbrush job on the truck.

hope business gets better for you! you do great work!
dumpednshaved   +1y
Lost Cause was a great example ahab. I was actually going to use him as one of my examples. I thought about going to him when I had my frontier painted just b/c he had build threads and seemed like he did great work in a timely manner and things were going really good. I know if I felt that way that many others probably did and i'm sure it would work the same for you. It just builds excitement about the builder/painter when you can follow along with all of their builds and see what they can accomplish.
seanb   +1y
Well thank you for the complements guys and I really appreciate your feedback. I guess offering good airbrush work at a reasonable price has been my position all along but I'm glad to hear someone actually saying that. I don't usually know what the competition charges. I feel my pricing is based on my talent and years of doing this and not what someone else is willing to cut the market to.

So more facebook and/or progress threads to show what's going on? Okay, got it. I guess I never thought about all the builds that never get past primer. And yeah, just material costs are going to average more than a Macco special. I think I'd rather have a facebook page separate from my personal one for projects and such. And maybe you're right, people just don't want airbrush work like they use to. Thanks again for the comment.
sik_kreations   +1y
I wouldnt worry too much about making it off mini trucks.. Def. Only a stepping stone as u know most painters don't make a career out of it. If u want more airbrush jobs u need to promote yourself as an airbrusher. Some well known airbrushers only do just that. Also moving to a diff area that feeds that type of talent. Mini truckers are mostly on a budget and mostly want deals. Your best customers are guys who never even show their ride.
driptruck   +1y
Nice thread. If I had more money and one of my projects was anywhere near the paint phase I would at least call you up because of it. I agree with all said, more build threads with pics help. A better economic state would help too. I hope you and the rest of the good ones make it. I fear customers lack of money will lead to more hack jobs for people to cry about, and more good shops closeing up from lack of work.