threads
Page 1 of 2
Full Size Truckin General \  Honest opinion on diesel trucks...

Honest opinion on diesel trucks...

Full Size Truckin General General Discussions
views 793
replies 14
following 14

automatik23   +1y
Im looking at getting another truck probably a 2002-2006 or 7. I want to know everyones opiniongs on what is available in a 3/4ton crew cab. I like and dislike certain things about all of them.

Dodge- uncomfortable as hell and sound like tractors. But from what Ive heard theyre engines are very reliable, but the transmissions arent. And I also heard they have to be brought to a cummins shop and not a dodge dealer if its having engine problems.

Ford- Not quite as uncomfortable, nice looking exterior, lots of power and torque but trannys are weak.

Chevy-comfortable and good looking interior and exterior looks good also, Allison trans is unbeatable. I like everything about the few duramax's that I have gotten to drive but Ive heard theyre notorious for constantly needing new injectors

Can you guys give me some unbiased insight, tips tricks, experiences etc?
onebadkota   +1y
On those years I would stay away from Ford (6.0s r pretty crappy from any dealings we have had.....Ford 7.3s, 6.4s, and new 6.7s are all nice

Chevy or Dodge both are good.... If your going to be doing a lot of hauling...go with Dodge... If your just wanting it to drive mainly..Go with chevy, it should get better fuel mileage.

After discussing with a couple guys at the shop...That have had both... They said either will prob. need injectors at some point..so thats kind of a neutral factor.

We have one of about all of them at the shop..or have had...They all have their own +'s and -'s.....
project94   +1y
Love my dodge, all have there pro's and con's, just can't beat the cummins imo, My dad got 200,000 out of his tranny, yeah dodge's tranny isn't great especially with mods, but even the allison has to be beefed up after a few mods fromt what i hear.
n2bnlow   +1y
They all sound like ass, smell like ass, and generally can haul alot of ass.

:XL:
gimp5561   +1y
well first off if you are lookin for towing a stick shift is the best my wifes truck is a auto.

had a ford and a chevy in the past , my 06 dodge has 170000 + miles on it with no big problems.
to me it is a comfortable and i am a little heavy IMO. no you do not take a dodge to cummins for
service they will laugh at you and send you to dodge for war. work but they do do service and all repairs.

love my dodge drove to WCN in 09 got 22.5 mpg just the truck reso in 08 with trailer
in tow 15.5 it is a 5000 mile trip for me.

all in all it is your choice just depends on you needs.
draggin91   +1y
IMO dodge has the best diesel. If I cud afford one I'd have a mega cab diesel
1PHATGMC   +1y
If you buy a Cummins they are all reliable as long as its a 5.9. the autos are junk,but the standards are great. 2006/earl y 07 are the best years imo. The fords are awesome as long as you get one with a 7.3 in it. 6.0s are junk, they have head gasket,EGR cooler,head stud problems. Tranneys aren't the problem. The Duramaxes are fine. 2005-early 07 are best. 2001-04 have the injector issues. All the new models with the DPFs don't get the mpgs and have too many emmissions!! hope that helps.

///RELAXED
xgolferdude   +1y
Well ill throw my two cents in..

I sell cars at a Dodge, Ford, Chevy Store... And Im in the truck dept... So is there pros and cons to them all yes.... To get a better idea of which would be best for your application... well we need to know exactly how your gunna use it???? ie the farm, pulling wedge trailors all over the country, pulling a mini truck a few hundy miles?? or just basic transportation with occasional towing..... If you like give me a buzz on my cell or text...
jay
draggindakota   +1y
My boss has an '04 Ram, 5.9 auto long bed. It has over 350k on it, a lot of that hauling equipment (bobcat, tractors etc) and materials from south Florida to South Carolina to build 2 houses, and driving back and forth every 2 weeks or so for the past few years.

He hasn't had any tranny issues yet. I've replaced the water pump, and a temp sensor on it. He had some work on the rear end from a recall I believe but that's about it.

And he gets around 24mpg city, and 28+ highway, although he didn't hit those numbers until after about 150k.
onebadkota   +1y
Is that mpg reading at the pump or with the electronic readout?? I work for a diesel electronic company (we manufacture chips/modules)....and Ive yet to see anything hit near that.... maybe 16-18 town and 20 or so highway.

Not saying it isnt possible...Just saying those numbers sound a little stretched from everything Im used to dealing with.