Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  Will this work at all

Will this work at all

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 2055
replies 10
following 7

crews1971   +1y
I've been tossing this idea around in my head , need some advice on if it will actually work . The idea is to run a single 2600 bag on the front of a 1990 mazda b2200 cab plus cantilevered on the torsion bar adjusters . i know the bars will have to be reindexed to the correct position to get the right movement . The theory is to inflate the bag and as it raises the inside of the pivot arms it will push the outside of the arms down attached to a link bar running to the torsion bar adjusters , thus raising the front of the truck up .
unusualfabrication   +1y
I know its been done with hydraulics, typically refered to as torsion bar hydraulics, so I don't see why it couldn't been done with airbags. Use one bag per torsion bar so you still have individual corners.
FXDGRND   +1y
All the torsion bar hydraulic setups I've seen have two cylinders. That's alot of weight and pressure on one bag in the front.

If you try it with one bag you would need a front sway bar to help with leveling and have the bag centrally located pushing rods on a bellcrank out to each side or you wouldn't get even lift.
nissandoordragger   +1y
i dont see how you would even fit a bag under the cab to work the torsion bar. i have seen some done kinda like this on independent rears but the bag had plenty of room being it was under the bed
crews1971   +1y
I'm planning on cutting the floor out of the x cab for the room , have saw will travel ..
AVTekk   +1y
AIM used to make a kit like that called the prok chop..it will work but id def use 2 bags. theres a lot of leverage applied on those bars.
crews1971   +1y
yeah I'm old enough to remember the pork chop kit from AIM , I've got 2 bags just thought it would be cool if I could get it to work with just 1 .
tuckinlugs06   +1y
yea they used to sell brackets to do this and there was a fullsize chevy that had them turned forward so you could see them
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

UnusualFabrication said:

I know its been done with hydraulics, typically refered to as torsion bar hydraulics, so I don't see why it couldn't been done with airbags. Use one bag per torsion bar so you still have individual corners.

FXDGRND said:

All the torsion bar hydraulic setups I've seen have two cylinders. That's alot of weight and pressure on one bag in the front.

If you try it with one bag you would need a front sway bar to help with leveling and have the bag centrally located pushing rods on a bellcrank out to each side or you wouldn't get even lift.

Whoops! Now that I re-read my post it looks as if I was saying that I have seen torsion bar hydraulics done with one cylinder. I was just refering to the actual torsion bar setup itself.
tuckinlugs06   +1y
anyone know what happened to the red chevy im talking about ..i know it had the 22's with the 5" lip to make a 27" face