threads
Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  quick cantilever question....

quick cantilever question....

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 414
replies 7
following 5

slammed89s10   +1y
Doing the cantilever setup on my truck right now...I got the pivot bar, bag mount and everything else figured out already, just looking for some input on what size heim joints to use for the dogbones that will connect the pivot bar to the link. Also some help for figuring out misalignment spacers for the heims. I was thinking 5/8" heims for it, or are they too small to hold up to all that stress? All input appreciated...thanks!
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
In theroy any 5/8 heim joint is going to be fine under that stress load, im sure you would not push any to their limits, but for something like that, i personally allways use 3/4" Chromoly teflon lined heim joints. Its better to spring for the nicer self lubricating stuff that is stronger and looks much nicer in that application.

taylor
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Agreed, I usually run 3/4 Heims, then just use the misalignments and reduce your bolt size. 3/4 heim reduced to a 5/8 or 9/16 bolt will be fine.
slammed89s10   +1y
awesome! where is a good place to order said heims and misalignment spacers from?

thanks for the super fast replies guys...i appreciate it!
scotto79   +1y
I got mine from Ballistic Fab, they had pretty good prices on everything needed.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
I sell them as well.

Teflon lined, chromoly heim joint. 2 Misalignment reducing spacers. Jam Nut = 25$

Taylor
slammed89s10   +1y
Now another question....is there anywhere to get a sleeve to make that dogbone rather then using steel and tapping it or welding a bung into it? I dont want to make some haggard looking piece lol.
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

Chopped Mazda said:

In theroy any 5/8 heim joint is going to be fine under that stress load, im sure you would not push any to their limits, but for something like that, i personally allways use 3/4" Chromoly teflon lined heim joints. Its better to spring for the nicer self lubricating stuff that is stronger and looks much nicer in that application.

taylor

--------------------------------------------

I'm with Taylor here! The 5/8" Heims would work but I always use the 3/4" Heims. Also if your going to use two Heims and a sleeve in the center its nice to use one Heim with a right hand thread and one Heim with a left hand thread so you don't have to remove it to adjust it.
Page 1 of 1