Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  02 Ranger! Can it be done? Remove ABS

02 Ranger! Can it be done? Remove ABS

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 3995
replies 11
following 7

j&jkustomz   +1y
Spring Fling is right around the corner! I need help!!

2002 Ford Ranger with ABS block right next to the Master Cylinder under hood is in my way! Can I remove it and just set it up like a Nissan brake system or will this affect my braking? I know the ABS is for safty issues when you mash the brakes to the floor it will not let you slide! But if I do away with it will the front just lock up or will they work fine? WHAT CAN I DO?
j&jkustomz   +1y
Yes NO Maybe?
bodydropped85   +1y
Yes just get the distribution block off an older ranger that has rabs or no abs. You will have to re work some lines tho.
tre5   +1y
You can remove ABS on any vehicle if you want. The only thing you need to do is add residual valves. They can be bought from Summit, Speedway, Jegs, ect. You will need a 2 psi for discs (probably just the front) and a 10 psi for drums (possibly rear). You will also need to put a proportioning valve on the rear line to adjust the sensitivity on the rear brakes. All that stuff is built into the electronically controlled ABS module. You will have a light on in the dash, but it should effect any other of the drive-ability.
devilx   +1y
That's good to know. i'm have my frame Z'ed right now and i need to do something about mine quik. About how much will all this cost?
j&jkustomz   +1y
What I have read up on a residual valves is only so you don't get Bleed back from your Caliper to your Master cylinder. And you would only get that if your master cylinder was under the car like in a hot rot where the master cylinder/booster is lower then the calipers. I'm still figuring out my fuel issues right now so the Braking issues is next! I've been doing alot of research on the fuel and how it works and now I'm getting back to the brakes.. I know the back needs a proportioning valve but I have Disc Brakes in the back so would this mean I'll need to set it different? Or will it work just like the front? More info would be helpful..
tmiit71   +1y
I dont remember, are you dody droppin it or just layin g the frame? well anyways, heres a couple pics of my 02 ranger...'Yoda just moved the ABS block forward and at a tilt, which turned the ABS light on, but they still work, i have felt the ABS motor kick in when it was supposed too.... but yeah, here ya go... let me know.. Dave
tmiit71   +1y
Edited: 9/6/2011 11:41:01 AM by tmiit

I dont remember, are you body droppin it or just laying the frame? well anyways, heres a couple pics of my 02 ranger...'Yoda just moved the ABS block forward, extended the wires and tilted a bit, which turned the ABS light on, but they still work, i have felt the ABS motor kick in when it was supposed too.... but yeah, here ya go... let me know.. Dave

post photo
post photo
post photo
tmiit71   +1y

post photo
post photo
j&jkustomz   +1y
I took mine off! I went with a set up ;like in a early model that didn't have the block.. Everything matched up like it would have but I'm concerned about the rear being disc. I havent tried it out but I will be later this week hopefully!. I almost got it back together.. Can't wait to drive her again. I'd actually give my left nut to have it back like it was before I started to bag it. LOL.. But there is no turning back now!