Page 1 of 1
American Cars \  SBC 305 wont start!

SBC 305 wont start!

American Cars General Discussions
views 448
replies 3
following 2

DOWNHERE   +1y
We have a 1979 Pontiac Firebird engine put into a 1965 Chevelle. The engine has been rebuilt. There is less than 1 mile on the car for the past 2 years. Last time it was started was last summer. Now we are trying to start it, and we are getting nothing. We sprayed starter fluid in the carb and tried to crank and nothing. I figured the fuel pump is fine if the starter fluid didnt even make it sound like it wanted to start. I thought the battery was bad, we got a fully charged battery... Nothing! We changed the spark plugs, nothing. The car has nothing under the hood except for the engine, and the wiring which is very little.

I know you would have to see the car in person to try to figure it out, but maybe some of the experienced guys can tell me what else I can try.

Thanks!
cookiemonster13   +1y
here is the deal, 3 things for a motor to run: air, fuel, and spark.

Spray starter fluid in the carb and it does not even sputter means it is not fuel, as long as the barrels are open obivously, then that leaves you with no spark. Check for spark and move forward. if it has a HEI ignition there is a power wire on the side of the distributor that powers the coil. check for power there if you have power there but no spark at the plug change the coil. to check for spark at the plug pull a plug out with the wire still connected set it on a steel part of the engine so it grounds itself and crank the car. look for a tiny electrical charge at the tip of the plug.

DOWNHERE   +1y
Thanks a lot... I am heading to the car right now... I will let u know how it goes. Thanks again.
DOWNHERE   +1y
It was the wire coming from the distributor... I jumped it to the battery and car started right up.
Page 1 of 1