Page 2 of 2
Wheel Questions \  painting chrome rims

painting chrome rims

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 2371
replies 16
following 12

Diesel1382   +1y
I painted the face of some chrome wheels i had, just scuffed them with a green scotchbrite then cleanned them extremely good with some reducer. Ran them for over a year with no problems.
devilx   +1y
i just saw an episode of muscle car on spike, episode #419. they show you the proper way to paint the chrome. it looks alittle expensive but it can be done. the dude said he painted his chrome bumper the same way 4 years ago and no chips. i'm just wondering if this way can be done with two colors at the same time. http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/naeguy/powerblock-muscle-car-wheels-chrome-and-block-paint-season-4-ep-419
sik_kreations   +1y
its pretty simple.. da or 3 inch mini sanding pad on a small air buffer... 80 grit for that.. 180 by hand... etch primer( the real kind not the rattle can stuff) or better yet.. sikkens has an etch thats on like a baby wipe, then u let that flash, wet on wet with a 2k sealer.. paint and clear. ive done this on wheels and chrome bumpers.. one of them got rear ended and the bumper bent to shit and didnt flake the paint. powder will never get u the color match especially if u have an exotic color.
devilx   +1y
what do you mean by wet on wet?
Cesar aka Sammy   +1y
--------------------------------------------

sik_kreations said:

its pretty simple.. da or 3 inch mini sanding pad on a small air buffer... 80 grit for that.. 180 by hand... etch primer( the real kind not the rattle can stuff) or better yet.. sikkens has an etch thats on like a baby wipe, then u let that flash, wet on wet with a 2k sealer.. paint and clear. ive done this on wheels and chrome bumpers.. one of them got rear ended and the bumper bent to shit and didnt flake the paint. powder will never get u the color match especially if u have an exotic color.

--------------------------------------------

i asked my painter and he pretty much gave me real close to this answer
rizz0   +1y
Wet on wet primer is a primer that is used and requires no sanding, just apply the paint straight on top
devilx   +1y
i think i'm going to attempt the way they did it on muscle car. it looks simple enough.