Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  painting chrome rims

painting chrome rims

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 2360
replies 16
following 12

devilx   +1y
if one wanted to scuff some chrome wheels to be painted, what grit sand paper or what kind of scotchbrite pad would one use to accomplish this? thanks for the help
Mulligan   +1y
wont work, will chip ...best would be to powdercoat (if you wanted to you could powdercoat it then paint over) or sandblast and then paint
Just_Robert   +1y
What she said ^. And if you get a rock chip from road hazards, the powdercoat will show through, so it's good to get it the same color as the paint.
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
You can drop them off at your local chrome shop and they can chemically strip the chrome. From my understanding, it's not too expensive at all.
devilx   +1y
I don't want the chrome stripped off. Even if I give it a good scuffing the paint won't stick? I hear all the time about people painting wheels.
Mulligan   +1y
--------------------------------------------

SolarX said:

I don't want the chrome stripped off. Even if I give it a good scuffing the paint won't stick? I hear all the time about people painting wheels.

--------------------------------------------

it still won't stick well enough to look good/not chip. the chroming process bonds it too much, youll basically just make it smoother unless u grind or sandblast it off. we scuffed/adhesion/etc and painted over the chrome grill shell on my truck, knowing it could chip/flake, its been repainted since then because of chips and paint flaking off. The rear bumper we had sandblasted to paint
THE LOW RANGER   +1y
I had mine sand blasted and then painted them with black rustolium oil base paint thined out with astone and sprayed away. I go threw mud and everything else with them and no problems.
post photo
post photo
devilx   +1y
well...ok then. i figured you could just scuff and paint. thanks for the info everyone
blazins10   +1y
i painted my chrome albas 2 years ago without any issues , i scuffed mine done to where the nickel was showing then used filler primer and then painted and cleared