threads
Page 1 of 1
American Cars \  Where are my Cadillac people?!

Where are my Cadillac people?!

American Cars General Discussions
views 530
replies 4
following 4

Diesel1382   +1y

OK, I recently baught a 68 Cadi. I have been driving it every day. Last night i was cruising around and had to show this little car up at a light, got into it just a little and i'm guessing that i was a little low on fuel because it died for just a second (as if the fuel moved away from the tank pick-up). So i pulled into the station to put some gas in it and drove it home with no other problems.

Now, i go to leave this morning and it started for a second then shut off, i smelled gas pretty stronge so i pulled the breather off to get a good look at the carb. Every time the motor would turn over the spout circled in the picture would spit gas out.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!
BigRich   +1y
That spot that is circled is your vent tube bro, from the sound of it your float is stuck in the open position causing it to flood. Sometimes tapping the bowl with the handle end of a hammer will free them up.
Diesel1382   +1y
Edited: 2/18/2011 11:58:27 AM by Diesel1382

And if that doesn't work use the heavy end? haha. Thanks bro, the same shit happened to my chevy. I should probably just pull the front bowl off and clean it.
BK2LIFE   +1y
Edited: 2/18/2011 12:14:34 PM by BK2LIFE

when your tank got empty all the crap in it got sucked in to the carb.,.

replace your fuel filters, and add the one by the tank you dont have.

you can tap the carb to dislodge the rust or dirt causing the needle to stay off the seat allowing fuel to over flow into your engine, but that dirt is always going to be there, you have to have your carb cleaned to get it out.

and also this is not just a cadi thing, this is same for all carbs..

Nu3vil   +1y
Good info guys.I have the same problem with my '64 cad
Page 1 of 1