Page 1 of 1
Ford Trucks \  laying a 17 or 18.....

laying a 17 or 18.....

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 409
replies 5
following 3

txaggie08   +1y
Hopefully I can get an answer this time, I've dug and dug and noone talks about laying a smaller wheel

What really needs to be done as far as the ball joint flip/raising the arms to lay the stock wheels or an 18? I'm just not a huge fan of mondo sized wheels,and don't REALLY want to go any bigger than that(Still have a use for the truck on less than ideal road conditions....).

I've talked to extensive and MMM(though I'm still waiting back on there answers about running the smaller wheels), but I'm curious if I even need to go through the hassle of doing the mods, or if it will lay pretty much un molested? or even if using spindles to achieve what I want might not be simpler?

Thanks for the help. I've learned so much from this forum and a couple of local guys. The whole quality/concept has changed a lot in the ten years I've been away from it...
NaviGangsta   +1y
balljoint flip mod requires at least a 20" wheel. due to clearance issues, anything smaller will rub the control arm.

what size tire?
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
You should have my reply by now, but either way. If you run a smaller wheel like that, just like NAVI said, you dont want to flip the lower ball joint, just run it in regular configuration, with the correct angle built into it, and drop spindles.

The size tire will depend as well, but i assume it wont be a huge balloon tire, but not a super low profile tire as well.

Taylor
txaggie08   +1y
One problem I'm seeing is that drop spindles require a minimum of an 18" wheel to run as well.

Well crap.....Maybe I ought to break down and try to get 20's to start off with....
txaggie08   +1y
Edited: 2/21/2011 12:46:15 AM by txaggie08

dp.....
NaviGangsta   +1y
It's been a long time since I thought about laying on of these out on 20's or below. But back in the late 90's, I seem to remember that some people with the smaller rearend were getting away with a modified c-notch and not even having to cut a hole in the bed with a 27" tire (255/35/20)
These trucks came with 2 different rear ends ... like a 8.75" and a 9.75" I think ...

DJM lower control arms will let you lay without a problem. But DO NOT use the djm upper, just use a stock upper.
My red truck was originally bagged on 18's with a 27" tire back in early 2002 with djm lowers. I had to remove the lil rubber on the stock wheel tub up front, and beat in a tab or two that stuck down, but didnt have to cut the steel out. Same in the rear. It was pretty close to the computer wires though.
Also, the driveshaft will clear almost everything. EXCEPT that damn heat shield for the exhaust, there is a bolt on it that WILL lathe your driveshaft into a 2 piece at 3am on a saturday when your slightly buzzed leaving an IHOP parking lot trying to show off dragging/burning out, dont ask me how I know this :(

Page 1 of 1