threads
Page 1 of 1
Ford Trucks \  New to the site. Front A-arm question.!.

New to the site. Front A-arm question.!.

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 341
replies 6
following 4

carl_fricke   +1y
Well after damn near everyone one of my searches looking for information led me to this forum i've decided to join it. i'm not a expert with bagged trucks, but i've been doing all my own work. i've searched this site and many others and i've found different and mixed reviews. this is why i'm asking this question to you guys.

i have a 01 crew that laid frame on 22s. i just put new factory upper a arms and tie rods. i cut the inners out more and relocated everything necessary to lay 24s. got the wheels on it and the truck is about 1.5" from laying out. the camber laid out is pretty bad and the uppers seem to be maxing out and not letting the truck lay out. the wheels are no where close to anything so thats not the issue.

after my searches i've found that some people are moving the upper a arm mounts up. i've heard people moving them 2" to 3". my question is do i need to move my mounts? some people have also said do adjustable upper control arms. if i move the mounting points should i slot the adjustment more so they can be moved in and out?

sorry for all the questions and stuff, but i just want to do this one time and hopefully someone that has some experience in this field will chime in. thanks in advance.
NaviGangsta   +1y
We need some info on your current setup. What all parts do you have n the front suspension?
The ones that have raised there upper arms also have different lower balljoints that are designed to point up, then some small mods on the spindle to make it work. We are also flipping the tie rods upside down when doing this, and shorten them a hair to align right. Then you raise the upper arms 2 1/2".

What size tire are you running?
carl_fricke   +1y
the tires are 255/30/24s. as far as the lower c/a goes i know its modified around the ball joint. it seems to be welded by the ball joint and the ball joint itself is bigger and has a nut on the bottom. i was guessing that it was a 4wd ball joint because the factory 2wd has a snap ring. maybe you know. i was trying to post a pic of the truck and cant get the uploader to work. i guess i need to make the pics smaller. i'll take some pics of the lowers and stuff tomorrow and post them up.

i'm army and work on blackhawk helicopters. i have access to a sheetmetal shop, cnc machines, lathes, you name it basically. just need to know what direction i need to go in.
carl_fricke   +1y
i'm trying to upload some pics.
NaviGangsta   +1y
255/30/24 is just 3/4" bigger then the 265/35/22 most of us are running. So you should be able to get it to lay pretty easily.

Is it nailing your brake booster yet? make sure its not hitting the fuse blocks on the drivers side firewall and the computer on the passenger side firewall.

are you running drop spindles or the stock spindles?
stock spindles and the balljoint mods is the way to go. I dont have any pictures of it, but Im sure someone that does will chime in.
carl_fricke   +1y
yea i was running that 22 tire and did the math and thought the same thing. the uppers always looked to be in a bind even with laying the 22s. just so much angle. someone told me last night that a shop that did his truck used taller or longer spindles. i can see where this would work as well. anyone try this?

as far as the break booster, its barely touching it. not bad at all. if i can get some of the camber out i'll be good.

i extended all the wires for the fuse panel and just about every other wire that was over there and relocated them. i put the fuse panel in front of the brak booster. i made a extension for the pressure switch to move it up and built a sheetmetal box to hold the fuse panel and stuff. tires clear with alot of room left over.

the computer is moved as well but i want to move it a little bit higher from where it is. clears the tires fine, but with the camber on them it barely touches the corner of the box. i havent been laying the truck out. just leaving about 60psi in the front so i dont put a bind on the arms.

does anyone have pics or info on this spindle mod?
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
On the arms i make for the F150 trucks, i use a FS chevy ball joint that i flip on the control arm, and it mounts into the spindle from the bottom side, then i just raise the upper control arm mounts, and it lays easy on a 295-35-24. The kit i sell includes brackets and everything, it helps alot with camber so you dont club your booster.

Taylor
Page 1 of 1