threads
Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  Will a mustang II or any other type work?

Will a mustang II or any other type work?

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 829
replies 10
following 8

automatik23   +1y
I need to know if a Mustang II rack and pinion will work on my 91 ranger, or if theres another kind out there that will
slammedxonair   +1y
If you are keeping the Ibeams, no It will cause bump steer issues. The tie rod links are in line with the bushings on the ibeams. if you have a mustang ii clip than yes it will work as long as you have the track widths all correct.
automatik23   +1y
what if the beams dont have bushings anymore im having custom uniballs machined to fit into the bushing housing on the beams im also not using stock radius arms i have tubular ones with heim joints
slammedxonair   +1y
That really will not make a differance, it's all in how the suspension and steering is designed from ford. I think there is a drawing on therangerstation.com that explains it in more detail. If you are familiar with how a control arm suspension and rack should look or be in alignment from a front view, It would basically amount to raising the rack, flipping the tie rods, or raising the upper control arms. It throws all of the steering pivot points out of wack and creates bump steer issues. If you don't understand what I'm kinda trying to explain pick up a book called Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams, it will get you on the right track. I think Max from Bio has also posted similar diagrams that are in the book and talked about some of the different aspects.
automatik23   +1y
ok cool i think i know what you mean but ive been wanting to get that book anyways, do you have any other suggestions besides a rack and pinion? i was thinking about bending up some tubing and using heim rod ends to make a new steering setup.
slammedxonair   +1y
Call up Clint at KP Components and bug him about producing the no notch tie rod kit they designed when they were working on their prototype radius arm bag kit. He told me about it on the phone a couple weeks ago when I was putting in an order and I never knew they designed a tie rod kit. He said he didn't think they would have enough interest in it.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
Edited: 1/13/2011 6:52:45 AM by Chopped Mazda

I had produced a notchless tie rod kit for the rangers as well, but its just not nearly tested enough to sell. You should be able to piece one together with some heims and tube, to work for your problem.

I wish there were more rangers in the area to work with :( , there hard to find and even harder to find bagged.

Taylor
unusualfabrication   +1y
Do a search on Google images for "ranger i-beam steering setup" and you might see some stuff that sparks some ideas. Maybe a swingset type steering system?

automatik23   +1y
hey MMW wanna sponsor me with your setup? haha ill run your company sticker on the truck, ill be your test dummy on your setup lol, your design would definitely get some viewing, the truck will be at a lot of shows this year, thanks everyone for the input
riddinlow99   +1y
theres always my 99 ranger on 22's taylor and Im only in WI not that far away to do some testing for ya jasons coming this weekend to pick up his dime hitch a ride with him