Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  information on chassis

information on chassis

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 456
replies 6
following 4

riding low23   +1y
Max, i read a few forums where you said you learned alot of what you know from reading books, im thinking of building a chassis and was wondering what books would you or anyone else for that matter would recommend for tips and pointers on building a chassis that works and is functional. Thanks in advance
unusualfabrication   +1y
Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith
Tune to Win by Carroll Smith

These are the first few to come to the top of my head.
low_blazer   +1y
--------------------------------------------

UnusualFabrication said:

Chassis Engineering by Herb AdamsEngineer to Win by Carroll SmithTune to Win by Carroll Smith

These are the first few to come to the top of my head.

x2....

Those are a must read if you're planning on tackling chassis/suspension fab

riding low23   +1y
Another question i have for you guys to clear up a little confusion, Ive been looking into some mandrel bent rails from autoweld from the firewall back and they offer rails .120" thick and wasnt sure if that was thick enough for what we use it for without getting to much flex. I was thinking with the right braces and crossmembers that those rails would be plent on a single cab s-10. Thank for the help
sledneck91604   +1y
Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
Great read, you just have to mirror any knowledge from the book as it is all about circle track.

I've heard Engineer to Win has a little more right hand know how, Is this true?
unusualfabrication   +1y

riding low23 said:

Another question i have for you guys to clear up a little confusion, Ive been looking into some mandrel bent rails from autoweld from the firewall back and they offer rails .120" thick and wasnt sure if that was thick enough for what we use it for without getting to much flex. I was thinking with the right braces and crossmembers that those rails would be plent on a single cab s-10. Thank for the help

That is thick enough if properly designed and engineered. Most factory frames are .125" thick as well as stamped factory control arms, BUT they are stamped with shape in them to make them much stronger.
riding low23   +1y

UnusualFabrication said:

riding low23 said:

That is thick enough if properly designed and engineered. Most factory frames are .125" thick as well as stamped factory control arms, BUT they are stamped with shape in them to make them much stronger.

What in your opinion is properly engineerd? And X style bracing under the cab with a drive shaft x memeber, along with the xmsn x member with a parralel 4 link out back with the watts link? Ive done quite a bit of research and from what im understanding is that this setup would be effecient enough to handle what i need it to handle. Up front i wont be doing anthing other than tubular control arms due to the difficulty of the front frame and my inexperience.Thanks for the help
Page 1 of 1