threads
Page 2 of 2
Tools \  Buying house finally, has garage, HELP!

Buying house finally, has garage, HELP!

Tools Q & A
views 1916
replies 19
following 17

truk2low4u   +1y
A drill press and tube notcher I don't know how I ever notched anything before I had these
n2bnlow   +1y
Do not skip the sawzall, or any other tool. You're a man with a garage. And every tool has its place. You could purchase tools when the job calls for them. Chainsaws are for trees.
spider97   +1y
--------------------------------------------

N2BNLOW said:

Do not skip the sawzall, or any other tool. You're a man with a garage. And every tool has its place. You could purchase tools when the job calls for them. Chainsaws are for trees.

haha very true but when you dont have a chainsaw you use what you have. i think the basics are covered good welder good aircomp. good hand tools, levels, angle finders jacks, jacstands cherry picker engine stand if removing an engine.
cable   +1y

truk2low4u said:

A drill press and tube notcher I don't know how I ever notched anything before I had these

^^^that's the correct way,you can also notch tubing with a chop saw,cut at a 45 degree angle,then flip it over and cut the other side.
nrre   +1y
thanks for all the advice. right now only 110v is out to the garage i THINK so i'll have to get 220v ran out there, along with cable.

hoping my father gives me his huge toolbox and air compressor(it isn't anything big but is something).

mig welder and angle grinder (w/ cut off wheels?) are tops on my list for sure.

chances are it will be a 'buy as i need' kind of budget starting out. once wife gets out of school, be a whole different story.
truck action   +1y
Edited: 12/9/2010 11:14:39 AM by truck action

Edited: 12/9/2010 11:12:00 AM by truck action

No one mentioned lighting,seeing what your doing is of importanceExcuse all the Christmas stuff ,got get in all out into the front yard once the rain stops!BEERCHUG
post photo
e10pvmt   +1y
GOD DAMN....thas the kinda lighting i need.....i only got one of them bitches installed by the builder....i need at least 3 more but i don most of my work with the door open so the lights up front would be no good if the door is open
gravity5   +1y
Might sound stupid, but protection, gloves glasses and ear protection are a must, a good welding helmet to go with your good welder, impact gun for gun for sure, good jackstands (x4) a good jack, first aid kit complete with minitrucker approved medical superglue, good lighting....the list just goes on and on. Oh and instead of a sawzall, an air powered body saw it a much better investment.
truck action   +1y
Regarding the lighting------I lived with just two lites for a long time,then decided to add more-------- & what a difference it makes!
I leave the door open 90% of the time,but if closed I'll be able to see!
Yeah eye,hand & ear protection is a must. Kills me to see these TV build shows with guys wielding wearing sunglasses!
You won't be welding for long doing that!
I use band name tools in most cases,all my air tools are H.F. ,if & when they fail just take back & say it just quite & 9 out of 10 times they will give you a replacement!
If there's room a steel plated top work table is nice fro fixturing parts stright to top!
Air hammer ,again from H.F, when needed ,does the job( get the complete bit kit)& pickle forks also!
If the garage is attached & a laundry room is close you can run the 220 easily ( use only one or the other @ a time) !
Get a 220 welder if you plan or think your going to be doing frame work!
Plan all out & should come together in time! BEERCHUG
nrre   +1y
well we've moved into the house, still need to get in and clean up the garage, dust/cobwebs everywhere.

yeah lighting isn't a problem, just need the housings, work will supply me with the bulbs etc.

just compiling a list of everything i need.

bonus pic of garage with my car in front of it.
post photo