Ask A Pro \  pinion angle and harmonic balancer

pinion angle and harmonic balancer

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 777
replies 9
following 7

ohioratrodder   +1y
Edited: 11/10/2010 5:54:29 PM by ohioratrodder

I have a std. cab 1998 s10 and the rear end is higher then the transmission at ride height. Right now my transmission is down 5
POSJustin   +1y
pinion angle has to be up if the tranny is down...kinda like a "z"...theres other cats that'll fill you in more in depth...hope it helps a little...
Grant Kustoms   +1y
Edited: 11/10/2010 10:47:56 AM by Grant Kustoms

the real fix would be to remove the output shaft angle by lowering the motor or raising the tranny. You don't want a "Z" if at all possible. The reason the tranny was angled down was because the pinion on a stock truck is lower than the tranny. angling the pinion down will help but not fix the problem. you dont want them to be perfectly linear to the drive shaft at ride hight because the truck will "squat" and the bushing will distort under load. Ideally you want the pinion, drive shaft and tranny to me linear under load at ride height. The closer to that you get the better. As for the balancer, it is to dampen vibration from out of balance parts, not to cure vibration issues from bad pinion angles
AVTekk   +1y
I would also lessen the output shaft angle, easiest way is to shim the tranny but you will probably need to make the driveshaft tunnel larger on the cab. You do not want to turn the pinion down, you want the pinion angle to be equal but opposite to the tranny, within 2
Grant Kustoms   +1y
ideally you are right AV but plenty of 4x4's run with with matched pinion/ output angles with minimal issue. The bottom line is, if you cant get the ideal situation are you not going to lay your truck out, of course not. The worst of these three sets up is definitely having your pinion and tranny at a downward angle and your drive line at an upward. So get as matched as you can, that's why we are both saying get that tranny output angle up more ( as much as reasonable). That will not only give you less angle at the u-joint but it will also raise your front joint and diminish that drive line angle
ohioratrodder   +1y
So if can shim my transmission up 2 or 3
ohioratrodder   +1y
Thanks low ranger but i was asking because my pinion is higher then the output shaft on my transmission
THE LOW RANGER   +1y
how did you do your set up with the truck laid out ,or did you do it at ride height cause something doesn't right.If you got some pics post them
ohioratrodder   +1y
Truck is setup at ride height, i will try and get pictures this weeken
Page 1 of 1