Page 1 of 1
Sport Compact General \  RHD Conversion Help

RHD Conversion Help

Sport Compact General General Discussions
views 1635
replies 9
following 6

artsar   +1y
So I am tossing around the idea of doing a RHD conversion to my ion. The clutch and brakes are hydraulic and the gas is electric so that shouldn't be to bad. The steering on the other hand is where my question lies. There appears to be enough room to run the linkage to the rack on the right side, but is there a way to modify a steering rack to become RHD? Or is there a delta body (cobalt, ion, hhr, etc) that comes RHD?

Any info on converting a LHD FWD car to RHD would be great. Thanks
artsar   +1y
Any advice at all?
lx4life   +1y
when I did mine on my s10 I used 2 universal steering units to mount up. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=4
draggindakota   +1y
The Astra (Holden/Opel/Chevy) is built on the Delta platform. Might look into a rack from one of those.
artsar   +1y
ok thanks. I thought maybe the Astra aka Opel wasn't a delta. I will definitely look into that though
artsar   +1y
One idea that was mentioned by another forum was to put a mustang rack in since it is infront of the wheels where mine is behind the wheels. Anyone used something along these lines for a RHD conversion?
cookiemonster13   +1y
yes you can do that, when you flip the rack around it works in reverse. you would just have to find the right width. if it was me though i would go for the Astra it is made for your car so it should be much more easy to fabricate to work!
artsar   +1y
Oh for sure. I am just trying to figure out all my possibilities before I get to involved into a project like this.
cookiemonster13   +1y
you could also do a split column setup. cut the steering shaft off behind the dash and do a gear and chain across the dash (behind it of course) to the factory steering shaft on the LH side. it is used in garbage trucks and postal vehicles all the time.
cajuntaco   +1y
What about earlier saturn rack? They had a RHD postal Saturn wagon (like a 200 series or something) in the local pick and pull a while back. Maybe something like that.

I just finished the RHD on my yota a few weeks ago but I got parts from Australia.
Page 1 of 1