threads
Page 1 of 2
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  Modifying Honda Trailing Arms?

Modifying Honda Trailing Arms?

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 2184
replies 11
following 6

5lam   +1y
Hey all.
Just a quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere.
I'm laying out my 92 Civic EH9 Sedan, on Juice.
I've already got the tubs cut out and the stock struts out, but it seems that something is still stopping it from laying flat, in the rear.

I'm just wondering if I have to modify the trailing arms in any way?? Or do I need to do something to the caster arm, as that looks to be the only thing that could possibly be limiting the travel?

This is where it's sitting at the moment.

RedHJedi   +1y
Not only are the caster arms probably binding and limiting the travel, but if you unbolt the caster arms from the car, you'll find that the front of the trailing arm itself hits the ground before the rear lays out. I've cut my arms in front of the bushing, and I'll make lower and upper link arms that are adjustable for caster and camber. I'm also considering cutting the main bushing out, plating the arms and using a Johnny Joint, because those bushings were never designed for that much travel, and they'll rip out.

Dave Mattingly
Latest Craze
robzilla   +1y
The main bushing on mine are tearing out, they don't like the arm flexing that much. I'm in the process right now of swapping them out for energy suspension ones that will allow the trailing arm to move better than the stock bushings. You have to cut the old ones out and press new ones in. post up what you end up doing.

I've seen cinder blocks used like that before and they broke. Be careful. I prefer to use solid wood 4x4 or 4x6 blocks.
5lam   +1y
So it won't matter if I ditch the caster arm entirely, and cut the end of the trailing arm off?
I already have Energy Suspension bushes on their way, and planned on getting the adjustable upper control arms.

And thanks Robzilla, yeah I'm going to make up something more sturdy to rest the car on, the cinder blocks were temporary til I actually got it laying.
cuzican   +1y
That's not a caster adjustment it's the rear tow adjustment, I Z'd my trailing arms to solve the problem, but I still need to swap out the factory bushings, when I finally get it back. You don't want to just cut it off, the back end of the car isn't the most stable when driving.
5lam   +1y
So does anyone have any photos of what they did to their trailing arms?
Its one thing noone really puts pics up of....

Surely along with the Energy Suspension bushes it wouldn't matter about those small arms, like RedHJedi said??
5lam   +1y
Anyone?? :BOWDOWN:
5lam   +1y
--------------------------------------------

cuzican said:

That's not a caster adjustment it's the rear tow adjustment, I Z'd my trailing arms to solve the problem, but I still need to swap out the factory bushings, when I finally get it back. You don't want to just cut it off, the back end of the car isn't the most stable when driving.

--------------------------------------------

How much did you Z them by? And do you have any pics??
Sivik   +1y
i havnt touched the trailing arms yet.
post photo
Sivik   +1y

post photo