Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  Dear Max...

Dear Max...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 449
replies 8
following 4

stlowburban   +1y
Max, So I was looking through an old MiniTruckin and you had a pic of a desert truck front suspension you built.  It used "heim" joints as the upper ball joint mounted in the end of the control arm.  I have also seen them mounted upright through the top of the spindle.  What are the advantages of each way to mount them?  Which is "better"?  Can they be used on the bottom as well and is there a best method of using them there? I've been contemplating doing this on a mazda I'm currently bagging on 20's. I know I could use super pivots but I like the idea of the heims and figured if they hold up on a desert truck they'd work for me. Thanks for your help.
stlowburban   +1y
Is anybody out there?  Just kidding.  Bump so it doesn't get lost among the classified ads.  Max must be working on something big.
unusualfabrication   +1y
What's wrong with balljoints? I know for a fact that you can lay on 20's with 2" drop spindles, which use the S-10 lower balljoints, and the stock upper balljoints. Just curious, seems like a lot more work to get to the same place.
stlowburban   +1y
I appreciate it but this truck is on 20" tahoe wheels and 2wd sheetmetal.  It is my understanding that all drop spindles for mazda's push the rim out 3/4 of an inch which we don't have the room for. Plan is to narrow the control arms an inch to gain clearance and am thinking that heims will give me the extra travel I need from not running drop spindles.  Any other solutions anybody has I am open to.  Thanks.
stlowburban   +1y
Maaaaaaxxxxxx!!!!!   We need you.  Is he at Robbies' again working on something crazy?  Anybody know?
lost cause   +1y
You may want to hit max up on face book or something,.....He doesn't seem to get on here much if at all anymore
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
I just built these for a mazda truck, to solve that exact same problem.  uppers and lowers Narrowed 1", and get a ton of extra travel over balljoints.        
post photo
post photo
stlowburban   +1y
Those are beautiful but we're trying to do this on somewhat of a budget.  Just curious what would a set f those run me? Uppers and lowers  complete ready to bolt on. 
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
I sent ya a message.   Taylor
Page 1 of 1