Page 1 of 3
Ford Trucks \  couple ibeam ?'s..

couple ibeam ?'s..

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 1152
replies 21
following 7

dragitall   +1y
hey guys i got a couple questions for ya, im bagging my 1990 ranger on 20's..yea it fun lol i know i gotta notch for the steering linkages,but im worried about the oil pan, it looks like the right i beam is gonna hit, the motors a 4cylinder if that tells ya anything.... i have 3" drop beams in it and i have suicide doors bag mounts for it too. all my xmembers are raised aswell.  im not doing toyota suspension. will i have to notch the oil pan? and like that old tech artical about bagging rangers thats in the old school rangers topic, will i have to notch the frame back to make the bag fit? i have re6's for the front aswell. if anyones got any pictures of rangers front suspension post them!! i know theres a few rangers around on here thats bagged on 20's so post some pics if ya got them   email is cicerosykes@yahoo.com but post them on here too please!  im worried about the upper mount angle aswell lol so i just need some pics to ponder on  thanks for your time   
menace   +1y
im pretty sure laying frame on 20s with ibeams is pretty much impossible without a ton of modifications, i know there is a guy on here having tons of troubles with it, most people just swap to a yota front clip, or just run smaller wheels... i have 17s on my truck with dream beams and it probably wouldnt lay at all with a bigger wheel and tire, do some measurements first cause the ibeam hits the frame rail i think
dragitall   +1y
nothings impossible theres 3 or 4 trucks on here laying frame on 20's w/ ibeams. i just need pictures of their set up lol
automatik23   +1y

I emailed you bro, I have a 91 that lays rockers on I beams with 245/35/20. It is definitely a pain in the ass but the reaction it got at its first show last weekend at Summer Madness was worth it.  You'll need to notch the I beam to keep from hitting the oil pan.  You can also look online for camber bushings with a higher degree or even have a machine shop make u some. I would also suggest making new radius arms or at least put some heim joints on them.  Along with going up and down they also go in and out a little and front to back. Your also gonna want to have some custom uniballs made for the I beam bushing sleeve or cut them off and put in heims lol...its gonna take a whole lot of work, just keep that in mind.  I don't know if you ever plan on body dropping this truck but it gets even better if you do haha.  Don't forget to notch your frame for your tie rods, you'll have to notch a whole lot of frame to clear but I would recommend getting a hold of John Norris from Get Bored Designs because he has a no notch tie rod kit for rangers. good luck
dragitall   +1y
will ya post or email me some pics of what you mean? the tie rod notchs are no big deal. i have the stock radius arms but i have the suicide doors raised xmember in, will that not work? and i have the camber bushings that you can adjust i got those when i got me drop beams. my beams are the round ones if that helps... no bodydrop in the future for this onei really need a picture lol   
menace   +1y
the bushings on the end of the radius arms bind up alot, so its a good idea to swap them over to some heim joints
drpitlo   +1y

Why does everyone think laying a ranger with beams is impossibe? I got a 94 mazda b3000 same shit as a ranger laid and bodydropped on 20s front and 22s in the back. The only notching i done so far is for the ties rods. My Tie rod on the drivers side could use a little bit more bending to clear the pitman arm. As far as lift i get enough to clear the 20s to make a full lock to lock turn my raduis arms are just move up with the radius arm brackets no heims or uniball but I will say that those would probally take alot of pressure off of the suspension travel. I also have dream  beams.
dragitall   +1y
Edited: 8/4/2010 10:30:31 PM by dragitall

^^^^what size bag u run on that mazda??  done all the measuring and made the ibeams travel up and everything, it looks like it'll work  with out uniballs or heims.  so thats what ima do! but on the drivers side will the wheel hit the brake booster?? it looks like its gonna be clase! my wheels are 8 inches wide and 43mm offset idk what ima do if it hits.... will it?
drpitlo   +1y

Im running a 2600 lb bag in the front and the wheels are 20*8.5 i believe a +35 offset its close to the booster but does not touch it and i believe the tire is a 215/30/20. With your wheels being 43 mm offset that may create a problem.  
bodydropped85   +1y
93+ have bigger fender openings and require less lift to turn. my truck was 3 in from laying body with dream beams, but the beam was hitting the frame(just a test fit). you will have to notch the pan(get a steel one from an 80s model) or set the motor back for it to clear. if your not bodying the truck, making the beam into a 5in drop beam will help TREMEDOUSLY. the radius arm is the first thing that binds your travel, ibeam bushing is the 2nd. its not impossible, just a big giant pain in the ass. you will have to mutilate the crossmember to make the beams travel up that far. ditch the poorly designed sd brackets and get some of the brackets from illusive fab or make your own tubular ones. you could always Z the frame an inch or so to help with the drop.