Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  4140 1.25 Steel Rod...

4140 1.25 Steel Rod...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 522
replies 6
following 4

thacru78   +1y
Hey Max...quick question for ya. I have some 1.25 4140 solid rod I'm using for shafts for 2 swaybars I'm putting on my truck. I was planning on having them heat treated to spring steel but after talking to my mechanic who builds drag cars...and my machinist they said that heat treating it is overkill...that the characteristics of the 4140 makes it a perfect steel for that application and being that beefy...that they'll hold up fine. My mechanic said he uses 3/16 wall chromoly for his sway bars on the rear of his drag cars and he never has a problem with them failing...that they take the chassis twist outta a 8 second car. Also...I ordered enough materials for frt and back swaybars...is that overkill...u think just a rear bar will do the trick. Also note that I'm putting a really heavy motor in my truck...that'll be in the 1000lbs of torque range. Thanks Max or whoever answers. Also just a friendly tip to the guys looking into the universal swaybars at Summit or Speedway...I've got $136 invested In materials to make both of my swaybars...I got heims from Ballistic and all the steel off eBay. I paid $22 for 4ft of the 1.25 solid rod. Look into building ur own befoe you drop $350 on a speedway one. Later.
sledneck91604   +1y
Cummins swap?!?!?!
thacru78   +1y
Uh... :secret: lol
thacru78   +1y
Bump...
LaynRockers   +1y

4140 is already a prehardened steel. The only way to Heat treat it is to oil quinch it. 4140 has such a high tensil strenth that I would not ever consider HT'n it. I use 4140 for alot of things on my truck as well. I am a CNC programmer and I also do tool and die work. We use 4140 alot at work so I know it well. With what you have I would use it as is.......John
msturg   +1y
you have any pictures of how you plan to do the sway bars and not limit travel?
thacru78   +1y
Front will be similar to this.... And rear similar to this...
post photo
post photo
Page 1 of 1