Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  chassis mounted watts link

chassis mounted watts link

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 3063
replies 11
following 8

Victim of Corruption   +1y
i am deep in thought about my rear suspension design and am wondering about the negitive affects of mounting the watts link pivot on the chassis, reverse to how they are usually run.

in my research i found a mention to how mounting the link this way can result in sideways axle migration while in roll and compression or rebound.

how true is this and with a truck having such a large range of travel do u think this setup isnt well suited?

*my rails behind the axle stay up and do not lower back down. this is why i was contemplating mounting the link this way.

thanks.

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
I'm considering this for a project as well. Interested in Max's response.

i will just add that my concern is that the centre pivot point isnt always level with the axle like it is in a dif mounted set up.
///RA TROY   +1y

If you look in the book " Tune to win"  It actually says the correct way is to mount the center pivot to the chassis.
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
I'm thinking that it would be good where you set it up for ride height, but books like 'tune to win' don't touch on suspensions that see huge amounts of travel. However if you set it up at the vehicles driving height, I dont think there would be any major concerns.    
stewranger   +1y
Edited: 3/25/2010 8:23:18 PM by stewranger

I too would be interested in Max's response, but I believe Joel is correct treat it as you would a rear end mounted pivot.  These are pics I had saved to my computer, kind of liked the look of the chassis mounted pivot, of course this was on a coilover setup on a "pro touring" car, and it's mounted to the body.   
post photo
post photo
TwistedMinis   +1y
I've always understood this to be the superior method. Your roll center height will not change with your suspension travel. On the average bag job though, most people aren't very concerned with handling, so the method we commonly see on bagged vehicles works fine.
maz duh   +1y

I am interested in this setup too, I'm curious as to what points Max will have to add in.

i like this discussion already.   
shiftboy   +1y

we have run a chassis mount on a truck here with coil overs which is set up for road and track use pretty much for all the reasons seth has stated.   I think on the aussie V8 supercars the prop is mounted to the chassis but is adjustable to raise and lower the roll centre, maybe try check one of those out if you can??